Saturday, February 4, 2023

Blue Raiders fall to Lipscomb in second straight shutout loss

Story by Ian Harper // Contributing Writer

Photo courtesy of MTSU Athletics

Middle Tennessee (2-2-0) traveled to Nashville Thursday night to take on the Lipscomb Lady Bisons (3-1-1). The Blue Raiders were able to hang tight for a half but couldn’t stay with the Bisons in the final 45 minutes of the ball game, falling 3-0.

One of the pitfalls for the Blue Raiders may have been their uncharacteristic mistakes.

On the night, MTSU committed 6 fouls and a season-high two yellow card penalties.

One of those fouls especially came back to haunt the Blue Raiders as Lipscomb Junior Natalie DuBoise scored in the 33rd minute on a perfectly placed penalty kick.

Freshman goalkeeper Sydney Chalcraft managed to hold off the Lady Bisons in the rest of the half, making a handful of excellent saves in the process. She grabbed eight saves in the match Thursday to push her season total to 19.

While Chalcraft and the Blue Raiders fought hard, the Bisons attack in the second half proved to be too powerful.

Lipscomb freshman Olivia Doak extended the Lady Bison lead in the 62nd minute, followed by a Lady Bison goal off the foot of Alesondr Colbert with just under twelve minutes left in regulation.

Redshirt freshman Haley Nishimoto tried to provide the needed spark after coming off the bench late in the second half. She was able to apply pressure to the Lipscomb defense by putting some shots on target. Despite the effort, she couldn’t quite take full advantage of the opportunities.

After being shut out twice this week, MTSU will look to bounce back this Sunday as they come home to take on Belmont at 4 p.m.

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Ulrey (@connorulrey), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.