Mountains Like Wax: from MTSU to Live on the Green

Photo courtesy of Mountains Like Wax

Most weekends, you can find the members of Mountains Like Wax playing in a basement in Nashville or driving a few hundred miles in their van to play a DIY show somewhere in the Southeast.

This Saturday, the band will follow The Weeks and prelude to Judah and the Lion in front of an audience of tens of thousands of people at Live on the Green, a free annual music festival in the heart of downtown Nashville.

Mountains Like Wax is a Southern post-rock band paving their way in the Nashville music scene.

The band, consisting of Mitchell Taylor, Samuel Katz and Alex Zimmerman, began their musical journey while students at MTSU.

They released their debut EP, “hTetralogy,” in the fall of 2015.

The five-song release gained traction around Nashville as the group progressed from house shows to larger venues, little by little.

Soon enough, the band was competing in Music City Mayhem, a competition put on by Lightning 100 each year to select a new local band based on fan votes to play Live on the Green.

The band made it through three rounds of online voting before competing with three other bands at Exit/In on June 30, where they secured their spot at the festival.

This weekend is the final installment of 2016’s Live on the Green concert series, which has includes the likes of Young the Giant, Band of Horses and Ben Harper among popular locals Bully, Alanna Royale, The Wild Feathers, Rayland Baxter and more.

Mountains Like Wax will make their appearance at 7:15 p.m. Saturday on the 615 Stage.

Hear their song “Control” below.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Olivia Ladd email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.