MTSU alumna killed in plane crash

Story by Emily Neal / Contributing Writer

Taylor Stone, 24, a Chattanooga native and MTSU alumna, died with two others in a mid-air plane crash on Wednesday, above West Georgia Regional Airport.

According to WRCB in Chattanooga, Stone was teaching a student pilot how to fly when two single-engine planes attempted to land at the same time causing a collision. There were no survivors.

News Channel 9 reported that Stone graduated from MTSU in August of 2014 with a bachelor of science degree from the College of Basic and Applied Sciences, and made the Fall 2013 Dean’s List. She was also added to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Airmen Certification Database in 2013. The Database is comprised of a prestigious group of pilots who have met or exceeded the high educational, licensing and medical standards established by the FAA, according to Channel 9.

Dale Wintersteen, a senior in Basic and Applied Sciences at MTSU, posted this comment about Stone on Facebook Thursday:

“So sad to hear this, but glad I got to spend those 4 days with you just over a month ago in Atlanta, your passion for aviation was second to none, I pray for your family at this horrible time”

WRCB stated that Stone is survived by her mother and father, Doug and Cindy Stone, as well as her sister, Shelby. The family has set up a GoFundMe page to help with funeral costs.

For more news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.