2016 vice presidential candidates’ political stances

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Mike Pence and Tim Kaine are the two vice presidential hopefuls you knew for 30 brief seconds when they had announced their candidacy in July. Since then, Pence, chosen by Trump, and Kaine, chosen by Clinton, have been met with shrugged shoulders or unbridled indifference. Fortunately for Americans, both candidates will take the stage on Tuesday evening to discuss their world views and what they actually bring to the political platforms. Before the official battle of the vice presidents begins, here is what everyone should know.

Mike Pence (R):

Pence was first elected to office in 2000 as a congressman from Indiana. In 2012, thanks to the support of loyal Hoosier Republicans, he became Governor of Indiana and has continued to serve since.

During his time as a congressman and governor, Pence was a strong supporter of Republican facets such as city tax cuts, a large military and traditional marriage laws; the last of which created controversy and a claim to fame for the governor as he opposed a variety of legislation supporting LGBT rights.

Pence was a leader in the support of a 2006 constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriage. Continuing his opposition, he voted against the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which was meant to prohibit any discrimination on the employment and hiring of people with diverse sexual orientations.

Pence defended his vote by saying that the bill “wages war on freedom and religion in the workplace.

Mike Pence and Donald Trump share very similar beliefs when it comes to taxes on both the wealthy and poor. Pence proposed a large, individual income tax cut as Governor of Indiana. In addition, he lowered corporate taxes across the board and removed the inheritance and estate taxes by 2012.

Pence initially opposed ObamaCare entirely, comparing the legislation to 9/11 in a private Republican House meeting.

After a portion of the quote was leaked he said, “My remarks at the Republican Conference following the Supreme Court decision were thoughtless. I certainly did not intend to minimize any tragedy our nation has faced, and I apologize.”

However, after hesitation, he implemented Medicaid expansion throughout Indiana.

Tim Kaine (D):

Kaine was elected Mayor of Richmond, Va., in 1998 and was later sworn in as Governor in 2005. He held a seat in the United States Senate after his 2012 run.

As expected, Kaine has directly opposed Pence on a number of issues. In fact, he fought for the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and against other legislation meant to ban gay marriage.

“I believe all people, regardless of sexual orientation, should be guaranteed equal rights, including the legal benefits and responsibilities of marriage,” he said on his Senate website.

Kaine also wants college to become more affordable for the average student. His advocation of legislation such as the Supporting College Access and Success Through Dual Enrollment Act is clear evidence of this position.

Similarly to his ticket partner, Hillary Clinton, Kaine supports gun control and more rigorous background checks. The senator advocated for the failed Manchin-Toomey bill, hoping to further regulate internet gun sales and gun shows.

Unlike his Republican counterpart, Kaine is an avid supporter of the controversial Iran Nuclear Deal.

Kaine spoke about the deal in an online press release, stating, “In the negotiation, America has honored its best traditions and shown that patient diplomacy can achieve what isolation and hostility cannot.”

The debate will air Tuesday beginning at 8 p.m. CT on C-SPAN, ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com