MTSU soccer comeback unsuccessful in 2-1 loss

Jacob Young / Staff Writer

Photo by Brent Beerends / MT Athletics

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (4-11-1, 2-7 C-USA) failed to notch a win in their penultimate regular season game of the year, falling on the road to the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (12-4-1, 4-3 C-USA) 2-1.

The Bulldogs came out aggressive tallying several shots in the first ten minutes of play. La Tech would jump out to an early lead when they netted a penalty kick in the third minute of the match.

Salera Jordan started a Middle Tennessee push in the 18th minute with the team’s first shot attempt. Kerri Cook and Amber Hoot added a couple of shot attempts with Cook’s hitting the goalpost.

Louisiana Tech got another penalty kick opportunity early in the second half, but Sydney Chalcraft stopped the shot from finding the net. The penalty was still bad news for the Blue Raiders, however, as defender Hannah Tkacz was removed from the game after receiving a red card.

Cook and Hoot remained aggressive despite playing a man down. They each notched a shot on goal in the 60th and 64th minute of the second half, but both failed to find the back of the net.

Louisiana Tech capitalized on the Blue Raiders’ man disadvantage when Haley Laque scored her second goal of the night in the 68th minute, putting the Bulldogs up 2-0.

The Blue Raiders wouldn’t give up the fight though as they continued for opportunities. In the final minute of action, Hoot was able to get Middle Tennessee on the board with her second goal of the season. It wouldn’t be enough to overcome the deficit as the Blue Raiders ended the night with a tough 2-1 loss.

The Blue Raiders will play their regular season finale Sunday at 1 p.m. against Southern Miss in Hattiesburg, Miss.

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Tyler Lamb (@Tlamb35), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.