Hunny rocks the High Watt stage with a unique alt-rock sound

Photo and story by Morgan Brantley / Contributing Writer

With roughly 50 fans packed around the small stage at the High Watt Wednesday night patiently waiting to watch Hunny put on an unforgettable performance, it was almost impossible not to feel the sheer amount of energy radiating from the eager crowd.

Hunny, a band hailing from Newbury Park, CA, began their first-ever tour on March 20 in Pittsburgh, PA, and worked their way down the east coast to find themselves at the small venue in Nashville.

The show started off with their first opener, IOH, a high-energy pop band out of Tampa that formed recently in 2017 with just over 1700 monthly listeners on Spotify. The five-piece band did a great job at getting the crowd hyped up with their unique style that mixed pop sounds with an alternative-rock vibe.

Made Violent, the second opener, is trying their best to grow their fan base. They have become a big deal in their small city of Buffalo and are making a statement with their harsh rock sound that almost transparently resembles the 90’s alt-rock sound, which really seemed to get the crowd riled up and excited.

When Hunny finally took the stage, they captured the crowd with their ’80’s post-punk and self-proclaimed “dad-wave” sound. The guys did a fantastic job of mixing a grunge and gritty alternative-rock sound with a fresh modern pop vibe. They opened the show with a fan-favorite, “Hard to Believe,” which set the crowd on fire. After they played their first song, the lead singer, Jason Yarger, humbly remarked, “We were scared nobody was going to show up, so thank you for being here.”

Hunny performed for about an hour and then took the time to mingle with fans immediately after the show. Fans were very impressed with how personable and genuine the band members seemed to be.

One fan, Taylor Woodall, had just recently discovered Hunny and was ready for the band to play an encore, exclaiming, “Hunny! They owned the stage like it was their home, and the venue was nice and casual.”

Members of each band that performed eventually ended up in the crowd alongside fans by the end of the night, making it an impressionable night for those that were able to make it out to the High Watt.

To contact Music Editor Hayden Goodridge, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.