MTSU Students Receive Third COVID-19 Relief Payment

Story by Morgan Baker / Contributing Writer

Due to the continuation of the COVID-19 pandemic, Middle Tennessee State University is set to receive a total of $51,043,433 from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) to provide students with emergency grants.

This federal funding comes as a third installment as a part of the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act that was signed into law by President Joe Biden on March 11, 2021. The grant is dedicated to students who have demonstrated financial need during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Emails are being sent out to students across campus who meet this financial need to inform them of the grant along with how much they are to receive. Students are said to receive at least an award of $1,000.

Similar to the first two payments, the third COVID-19 payment is intended for financial aid cost of attendance or emergency costs during the Fall 2021 semester, such as tuition, food, housing, healthcare and childcare.

Meredith Baker, a sophomore at MTSU, is one of the many students set to receive the third COVID-19 relief payment.

“This COVID relief fund will be so helpful,” said Baker. “When I first found out about the refund, I knew instantly that it would help out a lot in paying tuition for the upcoming semester.”

Students are expected to wait about one to three business days, within being sent the email, for the funds to be direct deposited into their bank accounts.

If students have any questions regarding their COVID-19 relief refund, they are asked to email bursarmt@mtsu.edu.

To contact News Editor Toriana Williams, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.