‘Winterfest’ Continues in Murfreesboro

Story and Photos by Stephanie Hall | Contributing Writer

While the freezing weather and snow may make you want to crawl under the covers with a cup of hot cocoa, there are some fun ways to enjoy the cold. One of those activities is going ice skating at ‘Winterfest’ hosted by Fountains at Gateway.  

Ice Skating Rink at ‘Winterfest’

It costs $15 for anyone over the age of 13 (or children a heart as they are called on the price board). You must fill out a waiver either online or on one of the screens inside. The $15 allows you to get on the ice and borrow ice skates.

I will admit, I’m not particularly good at ice skating. I held on to the wall for the first lap. Thankfully, they supply some walkers for those of us who aren’t as skilled on the ice.  

Photo by Katerina Thomas

I eventually got the hang of it and didn’t need a walker. Though it was quite sad to watch as kids ten years younger than me speed past while I was struggling to move on my own, I was able to skate a little and really enjoy the day. 

If ice skating is not your thing, they have many shops and restaurants that you can explore while there. 

There’s “The Soda Bar,” which has everything from drinks to ice cream. It looks cool and is a wonderful place to relax and rest your ankles after ice skating. And even though it’s rather cold outside, I still recommend getting some ice cream. It’ll make you feel better after falling on the ice. After getting some refreshments, you can walk around and enjoy the lights. Christmas may be over, but they still have beautiful lights to look at.  

The rink will be open from January 27-30, so be sure to check it out before it closes.