MTSU students excited to vote in first election

Featured Photo from Makayla Boling

Story by RJ Ware

Across Middle Tennessee State University’s campus, students are preparing to vote in their first presidential election.

Tennessee will be holding its Democratic and Republican Party presidential primaries on Super Tuesday, March 5, 2024. MTSU students are excited and motivated to fulfill their civic duty for the first time, especially in such a large election.

“I was motivated to register because it’s an extremely important election no matter which side you’re on, and I think it’s important to fulfill my civic duty,” said Hannah Ferreira, a freshman who is gearing up to vote in her first election.

Voting is also more than checking a box for many students. It’s a rite of passage. Lauren Taylor is another first time voter looking forward to participating in her civic duty.

“I wanted to feel like I was finally a part of a big decision regarding our country,” Taylor said.

Nancy Prescott, the secretary for the American Democracy Project at MTSU, highlighted the importance of participating in the democratic process and getting students involved in local politics.

“Democracy works best when more people are participating in it,” Prescott said. “We know that a presidential election is coming, but there are also local elections. The earlier we can get people involved in local politics, the more likely they are to continue voting throughout their life. From a student perspective, it’s good practice.”

Sophomore Allyson McGill took advantage of ADP’s voter registration booth to register for her first election.

“I registered because ADP and MTSU gave me the awesome opportunity, and make my voice heard,” McGill said. “I’m going to vote for the first time to be able to have an opinion on who is going to lead this country.”

The deadline to register to vote for the presidential primary is Feb. 5, and the deadline to register for the general election is Oct. 7.

RJ Ware is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact News Editor Alyssa Williams and Assistant News Editor Zoe Naylor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on Twitter and Instagram at @mtsusidelines.

Sign up for our weekly newsletter here.