Sweating ‘All The Small Things’: Blink-182’s top four albums ranked

Featured photo by Destiny Mizell

Story by Destiny Mizell

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

Dive into Blink-182’s top four albums, each a chapter in their rebellious pop-punk discography. 

Blink-182’s concert visuals at Ascend Ampitheater in Nashville, August 2016. (Photo by Destiny Mizell).

After weathering storms of hiatuses, lineup changes and personal struggles, Tom DeLonge, Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker emerge triumphant. With a world tour and latest album “One More Time…” the band is reliving their days on the road. The reunion follows a bitter split in 2015 and Hoppus’ battle with cancer in 2021. 

Now, as they embark on what may be their final journey together, it’s time to reflect on 32 years of self-proclaimed crappy punk rock. From pivotal career points to artistic development, here are the top four Blink-182 albums ranked.

4. “One More Time…” (2023)

“One More Time…” is a time capsule packed with sentiment, existentialism and innuendos. With punk, pop-punk and emo themes, the songs alternate between feeling like a sugar rush and the consequential crash. 

Blink-182’s ninth studio album celebrates the reunion of DeLonge, Hoppus and Barker. Tracks “One More Time” and “More Than You Know” highlight the group’s turbulent experiences over the past three decades. However, a strong sense of brotherhood is woven through each line.

The songs pay homage to all of Blink-182’s albums like a blast to the past. “One More Time…” acknowledges the band’s evolution and presents musical metamorphosis.

3. “Dude Ranch” (1997)

The band is reputed for cracking juvenile humor, laughing in the face of rejection and feeling peeved. “Dude Ranch” didn’t just check all of those boxes: It created the list. 

Blink-182 began to stand out from other NOFX and Descendants wannabes by better balancing lead vocals and flaunting originality in this album. “A New Hope,” “Lemmings,” and “Degenerate” are just a few of the several fast-paced tracks that set the tone for the band. 

“Dude Ranch” laid the foundation of the band’s success. The MCA debut put Blink-182 on the Billboard 200 in 1997. It plateaued at No.67 and spent eleven months on the chart. Angsty coming-of-age anthem “Dammit” significantly contributed to the album’s success, leading the album to go platinum in the United States, Canada and Australia.

2. “Enema Of The State” (1999)

If “Dude Ranch” put the word on the street about the band, “Enema Of The State” gave them a permanent address. This album introduces drummer Travis Barker and is the cornerstone of the band’s legacy. 

A staple in every pop-punk CD collection, “Enema of the State” is easily the trio’s most popular album. It seamlessly stitches humor and confrontation together with an invigorating sound. Iconic “What’s My Age Again?” and “All The Small Things” music videos nod to the band’s explosive popularity, demanding a place in pop culture. 

Despite the hyperactive tracks, “Adam’s Song” taps into a darkness that simultaneously emits despair and hope. “Adam’s Song” adds depth to the album, proving that a fun-loving sound and a mental health discussion aren’t mutually exclusive. 

1. “Untitled” (2003)

“Untitled” illustrates a vulnerability that Blink-182 had neglected before. 

The album further explores the indignant, forlorn attitudes hinted at in “Take Off Your Pants and Jacket.” Except “Untitled” takes it a step further. The 2003 album is broody and antagonistic – showcasing heavy percussion, whinier choruses and, if those weren’t emo enough, guest vocals from The Cure’s Robert Smith. 

Instead of outright opposition to the world, the tracks are freighted with raw feeling. Powerful songs like “I Miss You,” “I’m Lost Without You,” “Here’s Your Letter,” and “Violence” capture hopelessness better than staring at the ceiling for a few hours. Despite the anxious themes in “Untitled,” “Feeling This” reminds the listeners that they are still energetic (and lewd) musicians. 

This album is at the height of Blink-182’s discography, showcasing their development as artists.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.