Match Records artists wow crowds for second week at Hop Springs

Featured photo by Kerstie Wolaver

Story by Kerstie Wolaver

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

Laughter filled the air as Match Records took on the second artist showcase at Hop Springs.

This lively lineup consisted of Kasino Black, Treat Coastal, Jefferson Brown, Aslin, Chaz Crawford, Buzie and concluding the night Sav. & the ages.

Rap and Hip Hop artist Kasino Black played a seven song set of all original music. His set included his song “Pyrex” which hit streaming platforms on Feb. 1, as well as his unreleased song “10,000 Hours” which listeners can look for in the future.

Black finds inspiration in all genres of music, saying that he has always been attracted to storytelling in songs no matter the genre.

Ethan Campbell, a.k.a. Treat Coastal, began playing live music in college. For this showcase, he played an all acoustic set, just him and his guitar, showcasing a number of original songs.

Campbell found his genre in beach rock and garage rock and now enjoys sharing his music through live performance.

Jefferson Brown is new to Match Records, but has greatly enjoyed his time since joining. He found his love for music and creating because of his sister.

He writes his music through storytelling.

“There is a lot of passion, whether it’s anger, love or heartbreak.”

Brown plans to release three songs in March, saying, “I’ll never run out of music to make.”

Aslin, a 22-year-old artist from Portland, Oregon, found her love for performing through theater when she was in school. She began writing her own music when she was still in high school and produced her first album at the age of 17.

She didn’t get signed to match on her first audition, however she got picked later on because her talent could not go unnoticed. Her set for this particular showcase consisted of her and her guitar as she transported the crowd to a place where Americana music moves like the song of a bird.

Aslins’ new EP “In Flight” will be available to listeners this summer.

Middle Tennessee State University senior Chaz Crawford said that music was always around him as he grew up, with his dad and brother making music and leading him to make his own as well.

Crawford is an indie pop artist who finds inspiration in bands such as Hippo Campus. He played a set of all original music, accompanied by Grant Jenkins on the guitar.

Fans can look for Crawford’s album “HQ” on March 22, and can see his next performance at Diana Street on March 30.

Buzie, a band consisting of lead singer Suzie, Philip Hotz on bass, Reed Herring playing drums and Parker Milley playing guitar was formed after Suzie was signed to match records as a solo artist in 2022. The band was a recent addition.

The band’s original music began with a couple songs and a lot of jamming, but fans can look forward to an EP this summer.

Suzie’s favorite song is “Flack Jacket,” which she described as her “Haley Williams moment.” She also said that the band takes much inspiration from Paramore and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who they are all big fans of.

The final act of the night was Sav. & the ages who played four original songs and closed the night with a cover of Willow’s “Come Home.”

Sav. began making music as a singer/songwriter, but is moving away from that genre as she enjoys playing with a band much more than she did playing on her own. Fans can look for an EP from Sav. in the fall of this year.

This artist showcase displays the picture of young talent as MTSU students share their art with those around them.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.