MTSU men’s basketball CUSA tournament preview

Featured photo by Khori Williams

Story by Calvin White

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.  

After an up-and-down regular season, Middle Tennessee men’s basketball finished as the 7-seed in Conference USA entering the conference tournament. The Blue Raiders will face off against 2-seeded Louisiana Tech. The Bulldogs are 2-0 against MTSU this season.

MTSU played Louisiana Tech in the conference opener back on Jan. 11 and the Bulldogs won 60-52 in Murfreesboro. CUSA Player of the Year Isaiah Crawford went for 14 points, Tahlik Chavez scored 15 and CUSA Newcomer of the Year Daniel Batcho scored 16 points and grabbed 13 rebounds.

MTSU point guard Jestin Porter scored 24 and Jared Coleman-Jones recorded a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds. No other Blue Raider scored more than five points.

Just three days ago, Louisiana Tech defeated MTSU 84-70 in Ruston, La. The Blue Raiders’ 14-point loss knocked MTSU out of fourth place and after multiple tiebreaker scenarios, ended up as the 7-seed and drawing the Bulldogs again. Four Blue Raiders scored in double figures, led by Elias King with 19 points and 11 rebounds but Chavez, Crawford and Batcho scored 19 points apiece to cruise past MTSU at home.

MTSU has played a close game in the Murphy Center and a not-so-close game in Ruston against the Bulldogs. Bulldog head coach Talvin Hester has the CUSA Player of the Year and Newcomer of the Year in Crawford and Batcho on his squad as well as a 40-percent 3-point shooter in Chavez. Crawford was also the CUSA Defensive Player of the Year.

MTSU will have its work cut out for itself, just like it has all season. The Blue Raiders trailed at halftime in both games so Nick McDevitt’s squad can’t afford to fall behind early for the third time against one of the conference’s best teams.

It might take another otherworldly performance from Jestin Porter, but at this point, it’s win at any cost for a Blue Raider team that was projected to be in the position that Louisiana Tech is currently in.

Calvin White is the sports editor for MTSU Sidelines. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.