Womack Lot to be turned into parking for dorm residents and commuters

Featured photos by Hannah Carley

Story by Hannah Carley

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

A new approved legislation will split Womack Lot into a parking lot for both dorm residents and commuters.

SGA Senator Allyson McGill and Assistant VP of Events & Transportation Ron Malone received approval of legislation to split the lot in half on Thursday, Feb. 18.

Womack will resemble the Bell Lot across campus, which resulted from similar legislation by Malone in 2014. McGill aimed to increase efficiency for commuter students by splitting the lot in half to be commuter-inclusive.

McGill referenced how the Womack Lot is often “empty.” Womack residents often fill Homecoming Circle instead of Womack Lot.

Womack Lot is located across the street from the apartment complex. Homecoming Circle is between the Recreation Center and Womack Apartments.

Apartment resident Lilli Ward said she didn’t know the Womack lot existed. She assumed Homecoming Circle was the Womack lot.

“Yeah, the homecoming circle, it is usually very full when I’m trying to park,” Ward said. “I’m often lucky to get a space that’s near my building. Although I personally do not use my car very much, I only use it early morning or late night, so I’m often lucky enough to get my own space back.”

Ward she was excited for her commuter visitors to have somewhere to park their cars besides gravel. 

McGill did not consult the residents of Womack Apartments when writing her legislation, and they were not alerted of this change.

Many students from Womack dorms do not park in the lot named after their dorm. (Taken by Hannah Carley)

“I guess I should have asked people that live there what would they think . . . but [they] aren’t parking over there because it’s a farther walk,” McGill said.

McGill rode the bus every day and noticed empty spots in the Womack Lot.

According to the legislation, “[a]pproximately half of the Womack lot appears empty during daytime on weekdays and weekends.”

Malone told Sidelines he was an SGA speaker and senator in college and supported the mission of SGA.

“I know what you’re trying to do is improve things on campus,” Malone said. “That’s what the SGA is attempting to do… I think a lot of people appreciate it. So yeah, anytime the SGA calls and says, ‘Hey, can we consider this?’ I will.”

The legislation will take effect in the 2024-2025 academic year.

Hannah Carley is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact News Editor Alyssa Williams and Assistant News Editor Zoe Naylor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.