Friday, May 3, 2024

Business rooted in passion: Dainty Dani’s brings the outside in

Featured photos by Shauna Reynolds

Story by Shauna Reynolds

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

It’s the time of year when the days grow longer and the Murfreesboro landscape returns to its natural green. But in a little shop on Front Street, the shelves are green year-round. Store owner Shelby Wanamaker has transformed an unassuming storefront into a plant lovers paradise. Her shop, Dainty Dani’s, is bursting with life.

Like many bored and homebound people during pandemic lockdown, Wanamaker developed a houseplant habit. For her, it was more than a temporary distraction. Her obsession quickly blossomed into a business. She opened the doors to Dainty Dani’s Oct. 21 to share her passion and expertise with the community. Wanamaker named Dainty Dani’s for her daughter, a toddler who may eventually take over the business. 

“I’d love for her to work here,” said Wanamaker. “I’d love for it to be like a generational thing.” 

A houseplant can be a vibrant addition to an apartment or dorm – a way to bring the outside in. Succulents are attractive and need little care, but not all small spaces have the direct light they need to thrive. Instead, Wanamaker recommends pothos for first-time growers. They can live for years and reach impressive lengths indoors. 

“There’s several kinds of pothos,” she said. “But the golden is the easiest going and the fastest growing.” 

Every corner of Wanamaker’s shop showcases cacti, succulents and trailing vines. Her favorite is the staghorn fern, but she is wary of peace lilies. 

“I can’t keep them alive,” she said. “If somebody needs a peace lily, I’ll get them one on the truck. But it can’t stay here longer than a day, because it’ll die.” 

Dainty Dani’s even has a “Struggle Bus” section with half-price plants for growers on a budget. Wanamaker also sells a variety of planters and hangers to show off greenery but doesn’t limit herself to traditional vessels. From tiny teacups to vintage Crock Pots, anything can be a planter if someone puts a plant inside it. 

“I’ve got one in that colander over there,” she said. “Did you see?” 

The store is small, but Wanamaker envisions a future expansion. 

“My dream for Dainty Dani’s is to be in a bigger shop,” she said. “Probably on the square.” 

She said she sees the bigger space will have ample room for plants and antiques. 

Because in-store workshop space is small, Wanamaker is plotting collaborations with other local businesses. She recently held a plant workshop at Panther Creek Brewing. There’s also a Dainty Dani’s pop-up in the works with a local tattoo parlor. 

“They’ll do some plant-themed flash,” Wanamaker said. “And I’ll have succulents to take home.” 

Wanamaker shared some advice for intimidated would-be plant growers who think they have two black thumbs. 

“Get a plant, and leave it alone,” Wanamaker said. “Everybody thinks that overwatering is about the amount, but it’s the frequency.”  

She said that a little neglect isn’t a bad thing. 

“Leave them alone. Let them dry out every now and then and they’re good.” 

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.