Blue Raiders edge South Alabama in OT

By Connor Ulrey//Contributing Writer

It was not a signature win, but the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders clawed their way to defeat South Alabama 68-67 in overtime.

South Alabama (2-4) entered Saturday’s contest on a five-game winning streak at home, the longest for the program since a nine-game winning streak in the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons.

Jacquez Rozier led the Blue Raiders (4-4) with 12 points and hit the go-ahead layup with 0:42 seconds left in overtime. Rozier also added eight rebounds in the contest.

MTSU trailed late, but two three-pointers by Edward Simpson Jr. and Jaqawn Raymond forced overtime. Raymond finished with 11 points and five rebounds.

South Alabama’s Abdul Lewis led all scorers with 17 and added 12 rebounds to earn him a double-double.

Taishawn Johnson hit a three-pointer with six seconds left in overtime and was fouled, but missed the ensuing free throw that would have tied the game.

Reggie Upshaw missed two free throws to extend the lead, but a half-court heave from South Alabama was off the mark to seal the victory for the Blue Raiders.

Upshaw finished the game with 10 points, nine rebounds and three assists off the bench.

The Blue Raiders will be back in action on the road against the Akron Zips on Dec. 13.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport

To contact sports editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com.