Nashville Shooting at Midtown Restaurant, Memphis Man Dies

Authorities are investigating a shooting inside a restaurant in midtown Nashville that led to the death of a Memphis man, and the critical injury of another.

The Tennessean reports that 19-year-old Ryan Weaver of Cordova and 25-year-old Murray Gross of Memphis were inside the restaurant Cook Out around 3 a.m. Sunday when a gunman opened fire according to Nashville police. The gunman was said to be specifically targeting the Memphis men.

Officers say the gunman critically wounded Weaver, then chased Gross as he ran from the building. Gross then reportedly ran into an alley behind the restaurant where the gunman fired several more shots, fatally wounding Gross.

Weaver is being treated at Vanderbilt University Medical Center for wounds to his abdomen and leg. He is wanted on aggravated robbery, aggravated trespassing and evading arrest charges in connection with an incident at Tennessee State University on Jan. 30, according to Nashville police.

The gunman is still at large. Anyone with information about him is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 615-742-7463, or Midtown Hills Investigations at 615-880-1817.

This is the second fatal midtown shooting in about a week. A man was shot and killed in the Wesley Place garage on the Vanderbilt University campus on Feb. 21.

For more local news updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact news editor Max Smith, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com