Black Caucus calls for State House Majority Leader to Step Down

The Tennessee Legislative Black Caucus on Monday renewed its call for action to be taken against a Republican state lawmaker who they say made a racist Facebook post.

The group wants Rep. Sheila Butt of Columbia to apologize and for GOP leaders to remove Butt from her leadership position as House majority floor leader.

Butt, however, has said her post was misinterpreted, and at least one GOP leader on Monday said he took her word for it and saw no need to reprimand or demand an apology from her.

Butt’s post said, “It is time for a Council on Christian Relations and an NAAWP in this Country.” It was a comment on a Jan. 26 open letter from the Council on American-Islamic Relations urging potential Republican presidential candidates to reject “Islamophobia” and reach out to American Muslim voters.

Critics say “NAAWP” has been used by white supremacist organizations and stands for the “National Association for the Advancement of White People.”

Butt, who is white, said that “NAAWP” stands for the “National Association of Advancement for Western Peoples,” and said her post had been misinterpreted.

On the House floor last week, Butt said she “never intended to offend anyone,” then defended her comments, saying the First Amendment allows people to speak their minds.

Shortly afterward, Black Caucus members voiced their concern to House Speaker Beth Harwell, but she didn’t give any indication she planned to reprimand Butt.

On Monday, the caucus sent a letter to GOP Caucus Chairman Glen Casada of Franklin, asking him to take action against Butt.

“If she chooses not to do this on her own, we believe it is entirely appropriate for your caucus to remove her by force,” the letter said. “We would like for this action to be taken immediately.”

Casada told The Associated Press later Monday that he doesn’t plan to do anything because he believes Butt’s post was misunderstood.

“She said the ‘W’ stands for Western peoples, and it makes sense because the Council on American-Islamic Relations would obviously oppose that,” Casada said. “They just need to accept her at her word. I believe her. End of story.”

For more government news, follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines, mtsusidelines.com, and on Twitter @sidelines_News.

To contact News Editor Max Smith, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com