Men’s tennis weekend round-up: Blue Raiders sweep double-header

Story by Keenan Taylor / Staff Writer

Photo by Tyler Lamb / Sports Editor

The Middle Tennessee Men’s tennis team was in double-header action this weekend, with match-ups against George Washington University and Alabama A&M. Both matches played out very differently but ended with the same outcome: the Blue Raiders won.

Middle got off to a quick start, taking  doubles victories at the No. 1 and 2 spots with scores of 6-1 and 6-2, respectively. Junior Miguel Negre Fernandez and sophomore Gonzalo Morell Raschiatore each dominated in their singles matches to extend the lead to 3-0.

Even with the 3-0 deficit, George Washington refused to go down quietly. A crucial win at the No. 5 match in three sets, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, followed by a narrow victory at No. 6, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) commenced their comeback. In a hotly contested No. 3 match, the Colonials fought hard and tied the match at three points apiece with a  6-4, 2-6, 7-5 win.

Though they blew a 3-0 lead, MT never lost its composure, and freshman Tom Moonen sealed the deal by winning a three-set match to thwart the comeback attempt and win the match for Middle Tennessee.

It was a different story against Alabama A&M, as the Blue Raiders dominated from the start in sweeping the Bulldogs, 7-0.

Middle Tennessee once again took the doubles point by winning on all three double courts, 6-0. Sophomore Jacob Pugh added to the team’s 1-0 lead by taking down his opponent 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 6 spot. Gian Issa and Morell followed Pugh’s script by beating each of their opponents in straight sets.

Nicolas Buitrago Machado recorded his first career dual match victory as a Blue Raider with a dominant 6-1, 6-1, win in the fifth spot. Luis Morillo Diaz and Max Rauch finished the match by dominating their opponents in straight sets to send Alabama A&M home with a 7-0 defeat.

The Blue Raiders (2-2, 0-0) will travel to Wisconsin to battle with the Badgers Friday, and Sunday they will return home to host Western Michigan at 11 a.m.

Follow MTSU Men’s Tennis beat writers David Chamberlain (@D_Chamberlain_) and Keenan Taylor (@keenantaylor_) on Twitter for more coverage.