JaCorey Williams finds new home in Cleveland

Photo by David Chamberlain / Assistant Sports Editor

Former Middle Tennessee basketball star forward JaCorey Williams is headed to the Cleveland Cavaliers for the start of the National Basketball Association’s training camp.

Williams started his senior year of collegiate basketball for MTSU in the 2016-2017 season. The Birmingham, Alabama native helped lead the Blue Raiders to a Conference USA championship and consecutive NCAA tournament berths.

Williams averaged 17.3 points per game in 2016-17, while shooting above 50 percent from the field during the season.

Williams went undrafted in the NBA draft earlier this year, but was signed by the Golden State Warriors to play in the Las Vegas Summer League. He now heads east to earn a spot with the Cavs, where youth is a need. Williams is expected to play with the Cavs G-League affiliate, the Canton Charge.

Williams, standing at 6’8″ and 220 pounds, has the size, dexterity and athleticism to play at a high level and fills the final roster spot for Cleveland. The Cavs have one final two-way contract that they could offer to Williams and he has the potential to see time on the court with NBA star Lebron James.

For more MTSU stories, follow Assistant Sports Editor David Chamberlain (@D_Chamberlain_) on Twitter

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis (@RustyEllis13), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.