Women’s Tennis: Blue Raiders finish road slate with loss to Memphis

Photo by Darius Horton / MTSU Sidelines

Story by Nathan Vaughan / Sports Reporter

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders suffered back-to-back losses for only the second time this season with their 4-1 loss to the Memphis Tigers on Friday.

MTSU failed to win the opening doubles point, as Memphis took the win at the second spot over Lee and Zani Barnard by a tally of 6-4. The Tigers clinched the point at the third spot with a 6-3 win over Josefina Zehnder and Costanza Magazzini. This was an auspicious sign for the Blue Raiders, as they have only won a single match this year when losing the doubles point.

Zani Barnard redeemed herself in singles play, as she won at the fourth spot for Middle Tennessee. She was dominant in her match, winning by a 7-6, 6-3 count in straight sets. She was the only Blue Raider to get a win in singles plays, as Memphis claimed three quick victories to win the match by a final score of 4-1.

With the loss, Middle Tennessee moves to 12-6 on the season, and their away record sits at a disappointing 1-4 mark.

They will return home for a quick turnaround match on Sunday, as they will take on the rival Western Kentucky Hilltoppers at the Adams Tennis Complex at 1 p.m. The Hilltoppers sit at 7-3 on the season, and are only a few spots above MTSU in the Conference USA standings.

This “100 Miles of Hate” match hopes to bring Middle Tennessee back into the win column as the team prepares for the final stretch of the season before the conference tournament.

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis, email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

For more sports stories, follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter and Periscope at @Sidelines_Sport.