Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Women’s Tennis: Blue Raiders shut out Bulldogs in 7-0 win

Story and photo by Darius Horton / MTSU Sidelines

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders were dominant in their victory on Saturday, as they defeated that Alabama A&M Bulldogs by a final score of 7-0. This comes on the heels of a 4-3 victory over the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers in their last match.

The opening doubles point went in favor of the Blue Raiders, as Lidia Burrows and Marta Peris Herrero played their first match together this season, and won decisively 6-1. Luisa Zirilli and Kim Kermit took the other match by a score 6-1 as well to clinch the early doubles point. Furthermore, it allowed Middle to go into singles play with all of the momentum.

The Blue Raiders took the first few matches in singles play, as Zirilli and Costanza Magazzini each won their matches in straight sets to put Middle Tennessee up 3-0.

Lee Barnard won her match convincingly by a score of 6-1, 6-0, and she is now 8-4 on the year for the Blue Raiders. Herrero swept her opponent 6-0, 6-0 on court six, halting her two-match losing streak in its place.

Burrows was victorious in her match by a 6-3, 6-3 count, and she was followed by Josefina Zehender in the clinching match for the 7-0 victory.

The Blue Raiders won in dominant fashion over Alabama A&M, which should give them momentum as they play a tough Conference USA foe in No. 37 Florida International in their next contest on Apr. 6 at 2 p.m. The Blue Raiders will host the rest of their schedule at the Adams Tennis Complex this season.

To contact Sports Editor Rusty Ellis, email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

For more sports stories, follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter and Periscope at @Sidelines_Sport.