Four Former MTSU Students Nominated for Grammys

0
174
Grammy-winning producer and MTSU alum Luke Laird performs at The Rutledge in Nashville, Tenn. on March 27, 2014. His performance was a part of the 2014 Tin Pan South Songwriters Festival. (Cat Murphy / MTSU Sidelines)

By Erin Moore // Contributing Writer

Four former MTSU students have received nominations in this year’s Grammy Awards.

Luke Laird, who graduated MTSU with a degree in music business in 2001, is a previous Grammy winner from 2014. He won a Grammy for Best Country Album for his work on Kasey Musgraves’ “Same Trailer, Different Park” and is nominated this year for Best Country Song for his work with both Kenny Chesney and Eric Church.

Lecrae Moore, electronic media communications student from 2000-2001, is also a previous Grammy winner from 2013. Lecrae is nominated in both Best Gospel Performance/Song and Best Contemporary Christian Music Performance/Song.

Torrance “Street Symphony” Esmond, who graduated in 2003 with a music business degree, is nominated for co-writing Lecrae’s song “Messengers.” It is nominated for Best Contemporary Christian Music Performance/Song.

Jaren Johnston, a former  percussion student, is nominated for Best Country Song for co-writing Tim McGraw’s “Meanwhile, Back at Mama’s” featuring Faith Hill.

The 57th annual Grammy Awards airs Sunday night at 7 p.m. on CBS.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com