Friday, June 21, 2024

Gwar and Say She She: Music’s most unlikely pairing hits it off at Bonnaroo

Photos by Skyler Wendell, Sidelines

Story by Matthew Olson

Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival kicked off Thursday with two members of blood-soaked, theatrical metal band Gwar engaging in a press conference with an unlikely partner – so-called ‘discodelic’ band Say She She.  

GWAR speaks at a press conference at Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee (Taken by Skyler Wendell)

For Say She She, this might be a different introduction to the Bonnaroo weekend than other might be familiar with. For Gwar bandmates Beefcake the Mighty and Grodius Maximus, it’s another Thursday afternoon. 

“It’s not just like some hippie free for all, or some like crazy weird hipsters about fashion and other music,” said Pita Malik of Say She She. “People who seem genuinely about the music and the culture and the festival goers that will come back year after year and they’ve got their colorful stories. And that, to me, is how we grew up in Glastonbury. It’s like, way more about the culture and ecology and seeing people in the community come together than just going to see some band and dressing up in a certain way or whatever.”  

Casey Orr and Tommy Meehan, also known as Beefcake the Mighty and Grodious Maximus, respectively, make a living as members of Gwar – the premiere interplanetary, fluid- spraying metal band. The two alien-acting musicians sat spread-eagle in producer chairs, with the members of Say She She – Malik, Sabrina Mileo Cunningham and Nya Gazelle Brown – beside them. Although the two groups had not shared a stage before, Cunningham, in a satanic-themed Celine Dion t-shirt, came prepared. 

Malik asked Gwar about the band’s favorite human sacrifice. (Because, of course, that’s what hard rock interstellar beings do in their spare time.) 

“Jerry Springer,” Beefcake the Mighty said as both members of Gwar smiled between their masks. “The world might hate him. We [expletive] him right out.” 

With a laugh, Malik agreed with Beefcake the Mighty, adding that Springer has been sacrificing people for years, anyway. 

Say She She may be newcomers to The Farm, but Gwar are seasoned vets. Fourteen years ago, Gwar turned Bonnaroo into a so-called ‘Slaughter-Roo.  

During the presser, the groups also discussed political leanings, learning that they promote sticking with one’s values.  

GWAR poses for a photo with a fan at Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee (Taken by Skyler Wendell)

“It’s very important. We like to think of ourselves as multifaceted beings, and we like to buy music that reflects all our values and the things that are important to us: feminism, human rights, animal rights and all those things,” Malik said. “We like to use our voice to speak out because it’s that platform.” 

Beefcake the Mighty assured that Gwar had no political leanings. 

“We’re equal opportunity slaughterhouse here,” Beefcake the Mighty said. “It doesn’t matter who you are. If you’re the press. If you’re the sitting president. If you’re the ex-president.” 

Gwar and Say She She, while remaining neutral, seemed to agree on a distaste for certain politicians. 

“We really like your tribe as long as Americans don’t elect the fascist,” Beefcake the Mighty said. “Fascist — come on…” 

For people who haven’t seen Gwar, they might not know what they’re getting into. Despite the sacrificial mayhem and fake blood sprayed onto the crowd, Maximus said there’s something beautiful about it all. 

“The camaraderie in the mosh pits is unlike anything else I’ve ever experienced,” Maximus said. “Everyone’s just there to have a big time. They love their lords and masters, and they’re there to support them. It’s just, –it’s a magical thing.” 

Matthew Olson is a Staff Reporter for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the Lifestyles Editor, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.