Thursday, September 19, 2024

Football and tennis clash in a pickleball extravaganza

Feature Photo by Ephraim Rodenbach

Story by Ephraim Rodenbach

Over 50 student-athletes, teachers, and community members attended the first annual MTSU Pickleball Extravaganza this weekend.

The event was held at the MTSU Tennis Complex and included food, a live DJ and beer from Cedar Clade Brewery. One of America’s fastest-growing sports, pickleball, was at the epicenter of an afternoon of fun and competition. 

“I just want people to come and say they had a great time this weekend: pickleball, football and a little tennis. It’s all fun.” Jimmy Borendame, MTSU men’s tennis head coach, said.

The event featured a guest appearance from Blue Raider football head coach Derek Mason. During his time at the event, the support of the football program from the community was outstanding and that he is excited to continue to grow the program for many years to come, Mason said.

Mason also mentioned the importance of the “100 Miles of Hate” rivalry with Western Kentucky University and how the Blue Raiders aim for their first series win since 2018.

During the entire night, many competitors ranging from community members to MTSU men’s tennis athletes, paddled it out to win several prizes. Each participant had the opportunity to play four random doubles matches. The individuals with the most wins at the end of the allocated games were rewarded with door prizes. 

After 128 individual doubles matches, a local community member Nate Brown was crowned the pickleball champion. After the games, he was joined by his daughter, who came in second place.

“If you’re not first, you’re last; it was a luck of the draw type of thing,” Brown said after his big win. “I got great partners and enjoyed smiling and laughing the entire time.”

The event was deemed a success for both athletic programs and the community members involved. It’s safe to say the pickleball scene is here to stay in Murfreesboro. 

Ephraim Rodenbach is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the Sports and Assistant Sports Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.