Crime: Murfreesboro Police respond to reported rape outside MTSU Kappa Sigma frat house

Story by Angele Latham / Contributing Writer

Murfreesboro Police responded to a report of a rape outside the Kappa Sigma fraternity house on Maple Avenue Monday evening, according to a Murfreesboro Police Department report.

The victim, an MTSU student, reported to police that they were raped Monday night by a male suspect in the cab of a four-door pickup truck.

The suspect, who the victim only knew as “Danny,” is described in the report as a 27-year-old white male who is approximately 5’6’’ tall.

The case was turned over to the Murfreesboro Criminal Investigations Division.

This incident comes a little over a year after another report of sexual assault relating to the Kappa Sigma fraternity. On March 23, 2017, an MTSU sophomore reported an alleged sexual assault by a Kappa Sigma fraternity pledge after a party at the fraternity house.

The Kappa Sigma fraternity released the accused from his pledgeship after learning of the incident, severing all ties between the two.

MTSU provides many resources for students affected by sexual violence that can be viewed here.

To contact News Editor Caleb Revill, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.