Friday, June 28, 2024

Tennessee Historical Commission once again denies MTSU waiver to rename Forrest Hall

Feature Photo by Noah McLane

Story by Noah McLane

The Tennessee Historical Commission denied Middle Tennessee State University’s petition for a waiver that would allow the University to rename Forrest Hall on Friday, June 21, making this the university’s second failed attempt to change the name in accordance with Tennessee state law.

Disheartened MTSU students, faculty and University President Sidney A. McPhee felt the commission had failed them. 

“I am extremely disappointed, I don’t think they heard what we presented,” McPhee said as he left the hearing. 

Students at MTSU felt similarly.

“Being an alumni, it’s definitely disheartening,” said recent MTSU graduate, Ravel Pirouznia, “It just sucks not being able to see this change because this is something I have been wanting since I started MTSU.” 

Not everyone left the hearing disappointed.

Lee Millar, a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and staunch defender of Nathan Bedford Forrest monuments throughout Tennessee, testified as the expert witness against the name change.

Millar called Forrest a hero three times during his testimony, and later defined a hero as “somebody you admire for certain purposes, somebody you looked up to as an example or inspiration, Forrest is that kind of person … he could inspire them to fight and to win a battle.”

Millar said he felt the outcome was “entirely appropriate.”

Those who want the confederate general’s name removed from the campus building hold steadfast to the hope that change is on the horizon.  

“I’m very proud of the University and very grateful to Dr. McPhee for pursuing this second attempt … Once again, the University is on record [saying] that we are not a Nathan Bedford Forrest building, that the values of our university and of the faculty do not align with values put forth by those who lionize Nathan Bedford Forrest,” said Dr. Kyriakoudes, Director of the Albert Gore Research Center and the university’s expert witness at Friday’s hearing.

Dutsch Dorman, a student and member of MTSU’s chapter of the Young Democratic Socialists of America (YDSA), gave public comment at the hearing and shared President McPhee’s despondency yet continues to hope.

“I have an inkling this is probably not the end of this issue, definitely is not the end of our organization (YDSA) organizing for important things that students want to see change on campus,” said Dorman. 

President McPhee and Student Government Association President Macai Mosby released a statement in response to the hearing expressing their frustration with the commission’s decision and doubling down on their commitment to the name change.

President McPhee believes the university counsel, James Floyd, presented MTSU’s evidence in a clear and convincing manner but McPhee’s frustration with the commission is evident.

“I felt that our request was deserving of the commission’s full consideration and support. Unfortunately, following a brief discussion by the commission, the waiver was denied.”

“As your SGA President, I will continue advocating for this cause. This is not the end of our efforts but rather a call to action to intensify them,” Mosby said.

McPhee and Mosby are both proud of the student and faculty support, saying “our University community stood tall and represented this institution in the finest manner.”

The name will stay, for now, but students, faculty and staff are not giving up the fight. 

Noah McLane is the lead news reporter for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the News and Assistant News Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.