Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Blue Zoo Bash rages on despite inclement weather

Feature photo by Christiana Long

Story by Christiana Long

Family weekend at MTSU kicked off with the Blue Zoo Bash, a Friday night lead-up to Saturday’s football game. The nighttime pep rally hyped up the Blue Raider community with games, free food, giveaways and live music. 

The Hamburglar and Massiel Cruz represent McGuire Management Group, local McDonald’s franchisee and Blue Zoo Bash sponsor in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, on Sept. 13, 2024. (Photo by Christiana Long)

One of many family weekend festivities, Blue Zoo Bash included performances from the dance team, the cheer team, the majorettes and the Band of Blue. DJ Cash kept the crowd moving with an eclectic mix of music ranging from Miley Cyrus’ “Party in the USA” to Kendrick Lamar’s “Not Like Us” — something for everyone.

This night of entertainment included games and free carnival-style food including cotton candy, corn dogs and funnel cake sticks. The Bash was scheduled to take place outdoors, but due to weather concerns organizers moved the party inside the recreation center. 

Freshman Tyrus Gibson at the Blue Zoo Bash in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, on Sept. 13, 2024. (Photo by Christiana Long)

“My son is a freshman here, so it’s his first time here on campus,” Brittney Cook said.  “So we just wanted to see what the family weekend was about.” 

Cook said she wanted to experience the Blue Zoo Bash with all her kids. It was the first opportunity for the whole family to spend time together on campus, since other events such as CUSTOMS orientations are more student-focused.

“I like how it’s a lot of games out here,” Cook’s son Tyrus Gibson said. “The food was not that great, the band was loud and I like the music.”

Some attendees found the indoor Blue Zoo Bash superior to the originally planned outdoor event.

MTSU student Serena Easley at the Blue Zoo Bash in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, on Sept. 13, 2024. (Photo by Christiana Long)

“I like this year’s Blue Zoo Bash because it’s inside and not as humid as it was last year when it was outside,” Serena Easley said. “You can hear the music a little better, you can see all your friends a little better…I think that it is a little bit more cohesive with it being inside.”

This was Easley’s second Blue Zoo Bash. She thinks it’s an amazing way for students, family and friends to celebrate school spirit, she said.

The weather couldn’t stop the Bash from raging on, and the fun continued up to the last hour. DJ Cash enticed dancers to the floor for the cupid shuffle, the electric slide and other line dances. The Bash ended with DJ Cash’s dance battle with Kindred Locke. The remaining crowd gathered around to cheer them on.

The Blue Zoo Bash was the perfect atmosphere for campus involvement and a night to get hype before MTSU’s football game against their rivals, Western Kentucky University.

Christiana Long is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the Lifestyles Editor, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. 

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.