Murfreesboro Anime and Comic Kon returns with panels, artists

The fifth annual Murfreesboro Anime and Comic Kon will open its doors to cosplayers and comic enthusiasts at the Clarion Inn on Jan. 16-17.

Past years have welcomed artists from X-Men and The Avengers comics and Madison Lintz, the actress who played Sophia in The Walking Dead. This year’s event will feature guests such as Louise Dorsey, the voice of Jetta from the animated series Jem, a show based on the Jem and the Holograms comics. Batman and Deadpool artist Nathan Massengill will also be in attendance along with DC Comics and Dynamite Entertainment artist Kevin Stokes.

Cosplaying at the event is encouraged can even lead to prizes. A costume contest will take place Saturday with three separate contest categories: one for movies in TV, one for anime and one for comic books. The winner of each contest will receive $200 in gifts, and the overall winner will receive an additional $100 to be spent at the convention’s various vendors. Event-goers can also sit in on panels encompassing topics from art demos to cosplay workshops.

The event will run on Saturday from 10 a.m to 5 p.m and on Sunday from 11 a.m to 4 p.m. The price of admission is $10 each day, but MTSU students will be admitted Sunday for only $5 with a student ID.

For more information and the full event schedule, visit the event’s website.

For more events and updates, follow us at ww.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Tanner Dedmon email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.