Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Feel the music: The hard of hearing and Deaf experience at Bonnaroo

Photo by Emma Burden

Story by Emma Burden

Steven Thorn walked out of the Chappell Roan pit with sweat down his back and a smile on his face. Dust and sunscreen decorated his skin. To everyone else, Thorn looks like another ‘Roovian.

The only difference? He wears hearing aids.

Thorn traveled from Whispering Pines, North Carolina, along with his wife, Claire, to Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee. He and his wife enjoy live music and attend multiple concerts together. They’re drawn to Bonnaroo because of the unique and exciting people.

“It’s mostly the people, we love the experience of it all,” Thorn said. “The live music is great, too, but the biggest thing is just meeting fun people and having a good time for the weekend.”

Thorn wears his hearing aids at his campsite in Outeroo, but he takes them off during Centeroo’s live sets. He said that while he’s hard of hearing, his experience with live music is not drastically different from those without difficulties hearing. He considers himself not to be “super hard of hearing,” and prefers not to wear his hearing aids during live sets.

He shared that wearing hearing aids during live sets is a “little bit too much,” due to how incredibly loud that Bonnaroo shows already are, with chest-rumbling bass. Though Thorn doesn’t wear hearing aids during sets, he wears them back at his tent. Thorn doesn’t have many problems with his hearing aids at camp, though he brings extra ear tips and protects his tent from dust.

“We love the experience of it all,” Thorn said about coming to Bonnaroo. “The live music is great, too, but the biggest thing is just meeting fun people and having a good time for the weekend.”

Thorn and his wife arrived at Bonnaroo Wednesday morning, but they aren’t ready for the festival to end yet. Thorn wanted to experience as much music as he could Sunday, the last night of Bonnaroo.

Thorn’s use of hearing aids doesn’t change much about his festival experience in comparison to other Farm-goers. He’s just another head in the crowd at the weekend-long, non-stop party.

Bonnaroo prides itself on inclusivity, creating a party for everyone without restriction based upon gender identity, race, nationality or disability.

Bonnaroo’s website highlights services offered to anyone requesting ADA accessibility accommodations, including an article for individuals who are Deaf or hard of hearing. Available at the Basecamp Accessibility Center are Assistive Listening Devices. Festivalgoers can submit requests for a performance to be interpreted in American Sign Language prior to the festival. These ASL-interpreted sets are indicated on Bonnaroo’s daily schedules.

Over thirty different Bonnaroo sets provided ASL interpreters this year, including top-billed acts Post Malone, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Fred Again.

Emma Burden is a Staff Writer for MTSU Sidelines. 

To contact the Lifestyles Editor, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.