Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Idles celebrates a birthday at Bonnaroo

Feature photo by MTSU Sidelines

Story by Matthew Olson

Adam Devonshire and Jon Beavis of Idles stomped their way into Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival for a press conference preceding a Saturday night performance.

The two members of the poetically pulsating post-punk band from Bristol, England, discussed the band’s growth, preparations and transition from playing small gigs to large venues.

Beavis also celebrated a special day on The Farm.

“Before we start, this is actually Mr. Jonathan Beavis’ birthday today,” Devonshire said. “He accepts all kinds of pints after the show today.”

According to Beavis, most of his birthdays in the last five years have either been during a festival gig or a day where he had to sit on a ferry for 10 hours.

Idles began making their way around the globe in 2009. At the press conference, Devonshire recounted how the band formed eight years before putting a record out.

“We’ve just been touring, and the rooms have just gotten bigger,” Devonshire said. “So, it’s not like we’ve gone from a 200-cap room to a 10,000-cap room. They’ve just gotten incrementally bigger, so it feels natural to us.”

The band started with members just out of college, working full-time jobs and trying to figure out what to do with their lives. They rehearsed up to three times a week in addition to juggling day jobs.

Over time, the band shifted in sound and commitment due to life changes, like finding time to make music around growing families. And one of the biggest hurdles came in 2020: The pandemic.

“Things like a pandemic can really throw a spanner in the works when you’re trying to release an album,” Devonshire said. “You have to be very nimble about a lot of things, I think.”

Hurdles have taken a toll on the band emotionally and physically, including other bands questioning their image and what they stand for.

There are innumerable challenges of being in a touring band in the digital age, including social media scrutiny and the importance of remaining flexible while staying true to their artistic vision.

“I gave up looking at social media comments, like, many years ago because, you know, there was a point where it affected my relationship with my wife and stuff. Like my mental health,” Devonshire said.

The band feels strongly about their beliefs and stands immobile in their positions on subjects such as addiction, abuse and misogyny. The members shared that they care more about the importance of authenticity than personal branding.

“Joe has a lot to say and has a lot of beliefs … he can change people’s lives for the better or help people not feel alone,” Devonshire said.

Matthew Olson is a Contributing Reporter for MTSU Sidelines

To contact the Lifestyles Editor, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.