Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Princeton Review ranks MTSU Student Government Association nationally

Feature photo by Hannah Carley

Story by Hannah Carley

MTSU Student Government Association ranked 20th most active in the nation this year due to its consistent growth in student interaction and its versatile methods for communicating with the student body.

The Princeton Review rated the 390 colleges published based on a group of surveyed students. The survey tried to determine if they believed “…their student governments have an active presence and considerable impact on campus,” according to their website.

SGA President Michai Mosby took a student-oriented approach through the two semesters he served. In his first year, Mosby helped SGA rank 25th most active on the list, and in his second, the university’s SGA jumped an additional five spots. SGA climbed the ranking system having used Mosby’s plan, their large team of senators, and lastly, the students’ interaction and feedback. When he made decisions, he believed in listening to students and working to meet them where they were.

“Almost every school in the nation has a student government, but being active is a big part of what separates you from other universities,” SGA vice president RJ Ware said. “We try to be the voice for students in meetings that students can’t be a part of.”

The university’s SGA assists with event funding, promoting clubs and answering campus questions. Senators diversify themselves by participating in other clubs and associations, which helps them empathize with the various campus communities’ needs, SGA Communications Director Brianna Campbell said.

“Our SGA has achieved that by being there and supporting the students we serve. They have their hands in a lot of things on campus, specifically Homecoming and Fight Song… it’s all SGA sanctioned.” Campbell said.

Campbell manages social media for SGA, promotions, and for campus clubs, popular or niche, she said. They represent the student body online, including promotions and other media involving the students, such as events.

“We’ve seen growth with followers, page engagement…” Campbell said. “Me and my committee, we are going to start implementing things…where we go out with mics and talk to the students on campus with little questionnaires, SGA events, upcoming athletic events, any events on campus because students like seeing themselves.”

Senator J.P. Van Der Heyden works on the Homecoming Committee but has proven to be a versatile officer. In their junior year, Van Der Heyden worked for the marketing committee; in their sophomore year, they dabbled in Homecoming and Events; and in their freshman year, they were a part of the Freshman Council.

“I’ve been on the Senate for the past three years,” Van Der Heyden said. “I’ve always tried to make sure I was involved in SGA because it is a very important aspect of my college life.”

SGA keeps Van Der Heyden organized, and they prefer to keep legislation at a steady pace, even if it’s optional. Knowing their contact information is public on the school website made them feel connected to the student body.

The student government thrives, partly because the university gives it access to a wealth of resources like offices and even the Student Union Building, which the university erected two years after SGA requested a larger building to meet in than the Keasley University Center.

Mosby’s leadership for the past two years strongly influenced the university’s rank. Mosby formed a plan for SGA to increase student involvement and executed it, Ware said.