Murfreesboro music makers: The laid-back mojo of Joey Fletcher

0
18
Joey Fletcher on stage with the Joey Fletcher Band. (Photo by Jacob Rawson)

Feature photo by Jacob Rawson

Story by Matthew Olson

Joey Fletcher under the stage lights. (Photo by Jonathan Hoskins)

Anywhere in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, where cold beers are on tap, there’s a musician whose infectious laughter and genuine love of jamming made him a local pub bard. 

In the past, Joey Fletcher described himself as a “hired gun.” He toured with various musicians and filled in where needed. Today, he’s settled down to raise a family. Fronting The Joey Fletcher Band, he can make his schedule.  

Fletcher’s influences read like an oral history of Southern funk and the Delta blues. From sneaking into a smoky room at the Boro Bar and Grill or 3rd and Lindsley to jamming with local legends like Jack Pearson, Fletcher spent his high school years immersed in the rich sounds of Middle Tennessee.

“I used to sneak in and see Pearson play,” Fletcher reminisced. “And then I tried to sneak into The Boro a couple of times, but (Boro owner) Lee (Roberts) asked me to leave.” 

Fletcher’s grandfather, a professional piano tuner, sparked his interest in music and provided a nurturing environment for his developing talents.

“There was a guitar sitting around, and I always tried to pick it up and play it,” Fletcher said. “I just wanted to pick it up and play it.” 

As Fletcher’s euphonic journey unfolded, he discovered his greatest strengths as a performer: his ability to let the music emerge organically and his refusal to take himself too seriously.

“I don’t really have expectations,” Fletcher explained. “I kind of just let the music happen. Whatever the road map is, I have no problem going off the road map and making something fun happen.” 

His relaxed demeanor enables him to accept any occasional criticism with ease.

“The only negative feedback I get is either I’m too loud or I’m too quiet, or what else do they get me — maybe too much jamming on enough songs people know,” he said with a chuckle. “But you know, I’m here to play music and not play a bunch of songs off the jukebox.” 

Fletcher may not lean on extensive knowledge of music theory, but he often relies on his instincts and auditory perception when playing. His musical expression doesn’t require formal education in the subject.

“I play with my gut a lot and I play with my ears,” Fletcher said.

Fletcher focuses on his band, a group of musicians who share his enthusiasm for enjoying themselves while creating music.

The Joey Fletcher Band onstage. (Photo by Good Vibes Media)

The singer and slide guitarist is backed onstage by a small group of fellow Southern rock songsmiths and close buddies. He introduced his bandmates beginning with drummer Brandon Buck, who previously performed in a band called the Corbitt Brothers. Fletcher described bassist Andrew Bennett as a friend of a friend who helped connect Fletcher when he was looking to form his own band. Lastly, he introduced Dave Bell, Fletcher’s keyboardist and long-time friend.

Offstage, Fletcher’s attention is often focused on good food — so much so that he has the logo of his favorite restaurant, Toot’s on NW Broad Street, tattooed on his forearm. His favorite meal there is the chicken finger basket with Napalm sauce and loaded new potatoes.

Fletcher’s enthusiasm for fried food is passionately expressed when he performs his song, “Chicken Wing.”

“I like spicing it up. I like getting a little bit of forehead sweat,” Fletcher explained.  

In addition to music, Fletcher has a career in marketing — but it didn’t spring from the education degree he received from MTSU. It came from his time at home when he wasn’t making money on tour. He values his early promotional and customer engagement experience when selling his barbeque. He also developed campaigns for other musicians. Today Fletcher works for Tall Boy Marketing. 

Fletcher is not aiming for rockstar fame; he simply wants to enjoy himself.

“My favorite part of playing music is just getting to play it with my friends,” Fletcher said. “So I’m already reaching my goals. I’m living the dream as we speak.”

Do you have a favorite band or performer who should be featured as a Murfreesboro music maker? Let us know at lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

Matthew Olson is a Reporter for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the Lifestyles Editor, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. 

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.