Tuesday, January 31, 2023

‘The Sonnet Man’ Returns to MTSU for ThesCon

Hip-hop artist The Sonnet Man will be teaching Shakespearean workshops at MTSU as part of Tennessee State Thespian Society’s ThesCon festival on Jan. 15-16.

Devon Glover, The Sonnet Man himself, is much more than just a rapper. Also an award-winning writer, artist and teacher from Brooklyn, New York who’s appeared on The Today Show and MTV, Glover reiterprets Shakespearean sonnets through hip-hop. He first sings them as originally written accompanied with rap music. Then, he raps them again in modern terminology, putting his own present-day spin on Shakespeare’s classics.

This will Glover’s second time at ThesCon, where he’ll introduce Shakespeare’s sonnets using his unique blend of rap, history and literature. Students will also have the opportunity to take what they have learned during the workshop and attempt to write their own piece.

To learn more about The Sonnet Man, visit his site.

For more events and updates, follow us at ww.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Tanner Dedmon email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.