Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Bonnaroo opening day: Good vibes (and Gwar) kick off this year on The Farm

Photos by Skyler Wendell, Sidelines

Story by Kerstie Wolaver

While many spend Thursday working in an office or from home, Bonnaroovians flooded into Great Stage Park in Manchester, Tennessee, known better as The Farm, ready to bask in the sun, dig into dusty fields and soak up good vibes.

Nate Z on Keys pictured in green, and Ian Moore in pink, playing the piano for onlookers at Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee, on June 14, 2024. (photo by Skyler Wendell/MTSU Seigenthaler News Service)

Gates opened to Bonnaroo at noon Thursday. While many campers arrived days earlier, music kicked off in the early afternoon hours, ahead of anticipated performances from Post Malone, Jason Isbell, Chappell Roan and the Red Hot Chili Peppers later this weekend. In its 22nd year, Bonnaroo runs through Sunday.

Matt Maltese, the first performer of the festival, welcomed an easygoing crowd full of anticipation. Clothed in a white shirt, an off-white tie and black pants with hair stuck to his sweat-slicked forehead, the British artist sang his soft indie lyrics from behind a piano. Sitting behind the keys, he played for a front row of onlookers lined with bucket hats and bandanas, swaying to the music.

“Two thirds of us have come from England, so we’re still getting used to hot Tennessee.” Maltese said from the stage.

Later in the day, Michigander drew a sprawling That Tent crowd in 90-degree heat. Despite the sun, fans jumped, tossed beach balls and bobbed totems in the air throughout the set, singing along to the alternative indie artist’s words.

“That was special. I love being here, and I love being on the tent stages. It’s very surreal,” said Michigander band leader Jason Singer during a press conference at the festival, shortly after his performance.

By mid-afternoon, Ocie Elliott drew a peaceful crowd under This Tent, with festivalgoers lying in the grass and on blankets, soaking up the shade and cooling off to the sound of harmonicas and tambourines. Couples decked in tie dye danced with sunglasses while smiles dressed their faces.

Manni Pena traveled from New York, a 13-hour trip, to experience his first Bonnaroo, which was also his first music festival. While at The Farm, Pena hopes to connect with new friends, he said.

“It has been overwhelming, to say the least,” Pena said. “[A] rollercoaster.”

Throughout the day, many explored the grounds – finding hidden gems between stages and main attractions. Some festivalgoers stumbled onto a set by Ron Artis II and friends, a fun-loving jam band full of a funky blues sound. Ron Artis II drew a crowd of jam-band faithfuls who embraced carefree dancing during the music.

As the sun set on The Farm, Bonnaroo organizers broke from tradition by welcoming Pretty Lights to the main stage, called What Stage. 2024 marks the first year that the main stage opened on Thursday, with a three-and-a-half-hour show by the DJ, playing everything from Dolly Parton’s “Jolene” to Pink Floyd’s “Goodbye Blue Sky” during the set.

At 1:00 a.m., the night closed with a moshing crowd covered in fake blood inside the This Tent. They gathered for Gwar, a heavy metal band, known for staging fake decapitations on stage. The set offered a spectacle unlike any other on The Farm, with fake deaths and entertaining dialogue from each character.

Gwar soaked the crowd, sending many fake blood-covered fans back to the campground to recharge for what they hope to be a fun filled weekend ahead.

Kerstie Wolaver is a staff writer for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the Lifestyles Editor, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.