Tuesday, June 25, 2024

‘Embrace the suck’: Bonnaroo pit lines aren’t for fickle festivalgoers 

Photos by Kerstie Wolaver, Sidelines

Story by Kailee Shores and Kerstie Wolaver

At Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee, some festivalgoers line up for front-row access to the stage hours before music begins. 

Called the “pit” line, this general admission gathering is home to the most dedicated fans. Not everyone can wait for 12 hours in cloudless, 90-degree weather, breathing in endless dust to see their favorite artist. Those who endure the wait earn some of the best views on The Farm, often better than high-dollar VIP tickets. 

From queer representation to mental health recovery, here’s what fueled the dedication of these diehard fans on Saturday at Bonnaroo. 

Melanie Martinez 

The friendships made in line hours before alternative pop artist Melanie Martinez performed are forged with fire, or at least sweltering heat – and a full day of Tennessee heat may make or break any relationship.

For example, Milton Rickman of Texas met Mykayla Tanner and Brodi Diamond, two internet friends from Kentucky and Illinois, respectively, in the line. Martinez’s ‘Roo set makes the fourth show Rickman attended on the artists’ tour and seventh total.

What keeps him coming back?

“She does different outfits, and she genuinely has different energy at every show,” Rickman said. 

Tanner and Diamond were behind him in line. The pair started an online friendship three years ago. They met in person for the first time three days ago, when they set up camp at Bonnaroo. 

“It could be scary because what if we hated each other,” Tanner said.  

Diamond chimed in, “I was going to say, we got lucky for sure. We have a lot in common.” 

This won’t be the last time the new friends see each other: all three head to Lollapalooza in August. Rickman and Tanner made plans to reunite for the Melanie pit line.

Reneé Rapp 

Four days ago, Mississippi native Ayden Ladner spontaneously bought a Bonnaroo day pass for one reason: to see one of his favorite artists, Reneé Rapp. Inspiring fans such as Ladner with her musical theater background and queer representation in music, Rapp drew a crowd of frontrow hopefuls hours before her 7:45 p.m. set on the Which Stage. 

Ladner drove overnight to meet up with his roommate, Will Nelson, who bought weekend passes in advance. Ladner and Nelson sat on a blanket, one in white and the other in brightly colored tie-dye. 

For Nelson, Rapp represents “the lesbian pop that’s being displayed in the media right now,” he said. “That’s actually awesome because… 20 years ago you wouldn’t see that.”

Red Hot Chili Peppers 

Paul Malawski, a longtime Red Hot Chili Peppers fan, sees the band’s song, “Under the Bridge,” as a parallel to his own life. 

“I’ve lived under the bridge and I can relate to that song a lot,” said Malawski, a recovering alcoholic. “I just hope they play it tonight.”

Frank Longois poses with his Red Hot Chili Peppers shirt as he waits to see
the band on June 15 at Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee, on June 15, 2024. (Taken by Kerstie Wolaver)

Malawski, who wore a shirt with the Chili Peppers logo to the festival, began listening to the band when their self-titled debut album dropped in 1984. He and the band have changed a lot in that time, Malawski said. He recalls how they began: Playing music that was very sexually oriented. Now, the band puts out meaningful songs with the ability to change lives. 

Malawski traveled from Chicago to Manchester, Tennessee, with his friend Frank Longois to hear their favorite songs and interact with like-minded fans.

Longois, who lined up Saturday to see Red Hot Chili Peppers for the seventh time, is no stranger to loving a band, he said. He’s drawn to the energy of the Chili Peppers because of the music and atmosphere the group brings. 

“I wouldn’t be here if they weren’t here,” he said. “Every song they play, that’s what makes it worth it.”

Cage the Elephant 

Jimmy Martin stood at the fence that blocked off the What Stage at 11:30 Saturday morning, haggling with the staff guard to let him through so he could begin the pit line  alongside other Cage the Elephant fans. The concert wouldn’t kick off until later that evening. 

Martin first saw Cage around 1997, while dealing with mental health issues and drug addiction.  

“That particular point in time propelled me into my recovery process where I am today … I was trying to find myself in my life, and my footing and my recovery,” he said. 

After that, he started following the band around the country. Saturday was his 11th Cage concert.

“I guess [I was trying to] recapture that [moment]. Maybe that’s the addict in me,” he said. “I want to keep them, hold on to that moment.” 

After a show in Austin, Texas, vocalist Matt Shultz jumped off the stage and embraced Martin. It proved to be a turning point in Martin’s journey. 

“I was isolated, and that hug … I know the energy that went through me. It felt like love,” he said. “It was enough charge to keep me moving forward to stay alive.” 

He waited in line for about eight hours to see the band’s ‘Roo set. 

“Each time I go through this, I sit out here in the sun and it’s kind of like life. I have to embrace the suck. Sometimes I get in there and I think, ‘Is it even worth it?’” Martin said. “And then the lights go out and the energy I get from that hour and a half, just shoots me off into the stratosphere.”

Kailee Shores is the Editor in Chief of MTSU Sidelines

Kerstie Wolaver is a Staff Reporter for MTSU Sidelines

To contact the Lifestyles Editor, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.