Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Why MTSU’s rivalry with WKU is about more than just the game

Feature photo by Lucas Larkin

Story by Savannah Shaver and Taylor Lawson

Many know MTSU and Western Kentucky University’s 70-year rivalry as the 100 Miles of Hate, but this week the schools look to turn a bitter strife into 100 Miles of Hope. 

The rivalry started in 1952 when MTSU and WKU became Ohio Valley Conference mates, said Jim Simpson, MTSU’s unofficial historian. At the time, OVC had four Kentucky schools and four Tennessee schools. 

Now, the rivalry is of the utmost importance for both programs. The rivalry became much more intense in the 1970s when MTSU and WKU became more competitive in both football and basketball, Simpson said. Even after the respective schools left the OVC, fate continually brought the opponents back together. 

In 2001, MTSU followed WKU into a new league, the Sun Belt Conference, where the rivalry TRULY took flight, giving way to the nickname “100 Miles of Hate.” 

The rivalry isn’t just limited to the football field, however, it also extends to both campuses and communities. The week preceding the annual contest is referred to as the Week of Hate. Student apartments join in on the fun and host themed events and giveaways, and businesses throughout the city break out their MTSU blue.

In 2010, Diane Turnham, MTSU senior associate athletic director, worked with Chris Massaro, MTSU athletic director, to collaborate with WKU and start an annual blood drive in an effort to bring the schools together. 

“To know we are taking this competitive rivalry to do something really good… It’s 100 miles of hope,” Turnham said. “We are giving hope to some of those who may not otherwise have it.” 

As of 2023, the blood drive contributed to saving over 19,500 lives. The blood drive is hosted annually, but changes dates based on when the rival game is set to kick-off. To top it off, there is a trophy that is presented during the game to the winner of the competition.

MTSU/WKU’s yearly rivalry game for 2024 is at MTSU, on Sept. 14. (Photo by Taylor Lawson)

The blood drive is held inside the MTSU Campus Recreation Center and offers free food, t-shirts, and tickets to the game with a donation. Last year, WKU took the lead by only three units of blood, making it the closest competition in the drive’s history. 

“It’s truly heartwarming to think about how we’ve joined together to do something really cool for a lot of people,” Turnham said. 

The Blue Raiders (1-1) are hoping to snap out of a five-year slump against the Hilltoppers. With new coach Derek Mason, MTSU is holding on to hope that they will pull through with two wins this week.

“I just don’t know that the powers that be wanted there to be hate in the rivalry,” Simpson said. “Each team wants to win, yes…But I think maybe it was a good idea to shy away from the hate part.”

Savannah Shaver and Taylor Lawson are contributing writers for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the News Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.