Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Middle Tennessee soccer kicks off season with revamped roster 

Featured Photo by Jacob Burgess

Story by Jacob Burgess  

Middle Tennessee State University soccer enters the 2024 season with plenty of questions after back-to-back losing seasons.  

The team has a new goalie, retooled back line and an improved offensive attack is needed to get back on a winning track. A returning core plus the incoming transfers and freshmen give coach Aston Rhoden plenty of options.  

The transition has been good for the team, with the players fitting together well, Rhoden said.  

“The returning players accepted them really quickly, and they themselves integrated into the team culture real quickly,” Rhoden said.  

In game one, Rhoden tested plenty of options to fill gaps from last season. In the Blue Raider 4-5-1 formation the midfield is key for success on both sides of the ball. New midfielders, freshman Lexi Dendis and transfer Risui Arasaki brought promising starts.  

Dendis’ ability to push up the field as an outside midfielder gives MTSU the ability to stretch the opposing defense, opening options. Arasaki brings a new option to a central midfield position and a go to option on set pieces.  

“We have a lot of players with a lot of depth and tonight’s game just called for a certain type of personality and those are the personalities we relied on,” Rhoden said.  

The connection will have to continue to build offensively as the team only scored one goal out of six shots on goal.  

The new players are great for the team, having built good chemistry and solutions will come for scoring goals, Emma Pettersen said.  

Defensively there are positives to see for the Blue Raiders going forward. The big changes are at the center back position. Transfer senior Emma Brown slotted into one center back role alongside MTSU veteran Sascha Nielsen.  

“Training day in day out together has really helped us gel,” Brown said. “It was really easy slotting myself into the back line.”  

MTSU did not find success against Belmont falling 2-1, but the right pieces are seemingly there for success in the long run.  

As the team finds what works best, the lineup is set to change depending on the opponent and what is needed Rhoden said.

The Blue Raiders have a long season ahead with the ability to build a successful season in hopes of a conference postseason trip. 

Jacob Burgess is the lead reporter for MTSU Sidelines 

To contact the Sports and Assistant Sports Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com 

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram @mtsusidelines. Also, signup for our weekly newsletter here