Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Middle Tennessee soccer falls to Northern Alabama 2-1 on Thursday

Feature Photo by Paige Mast  

Story by Willie Phaler  

The Middle Tennessee women’s soccer team lost to Northern Alabama by a final score of 2-1 on Thursday night. 

The Blue Raiders scored the opening goal, as Lexi Dendis’ shot deflected off the UNA goalkeeper in the 11th minute of play. This was the first goal of Dendis’ collegiate career. 

“It feels great as a freshman getting to play, getting the opportunity it feels really nice,” Dendis said.  

The goal stemmed from MTSU having offensive pressure within the UNA penalty box. A pass from Emma Petterson opened the opportunity for Dendis to score, unassisted.  

Within a minute of the goal scored by Dendis, Middle Tennessee found themselves with another offensive opportunity. Dendis passed towards the net to Pettersen who helped the ball find the back of the net. Pettersen was ruled offside, bringing the goal back.  

North Alabama tied the game as Molly Parham lofted a ball into the top right corner. The goal was assisted by Kellie Hovis. The scoring opportunity was set up due to a foul committed by MTSU’s Sadie Sterbenz. Parham took the resulting free kick, that eventually led to an open scoring chance for herself. 

The first half was evenly matched for the two teams, with the two sides trading opportunities with the ball. Middle Tennessee had four shots on goal through the half while North Alabama had three.  

Coming out of the half, both teams played with a more aggressive style, as MTSU and UNA were both able to come up with scoring opportunities. 

The Blue Raiders found themselves with yet another opportunity, as Idun Kvaale sent a high pass towards Petterson. Petterson put the ball in the back of the net again, but the goal was waved off again for MTSU. 

North Alabama scored in the 65th minute as Anna Fugarino found the back of the net. Assists were credited to Haley Patterson and Emma Armstrong. Fugarino’s goal would prove to be the difference in the match. 

Although MTSU suffered a loss in the match, coach Aston Rhoden was quick to point out the success his squad had on the pitch tonight, while not downplaying the failed chances offensively.  

“It is great to know that we are putting ourselves in the positions to get those opportunities but to not finish as many of them as we did was really disappointing,” said Rhoden. 

Willie Phaler is the contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines. 

To contact the Sports and Assistant Sports Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.