Thursday, September 19, 2024

MTSU Counseling Services highlights Mental Health Awareness at yearly fair

Feature photo by Linsey Mata

Story by Linsey Mata

MTSU’s Mental Health Wellness and Suicide Prevention Fair offered students various activities to calm themselves and learn more about mental health.

Held on Sept. 10, the event corresponded with World Suicide Prevention Day. The fair was a hub for students to find mental health resources for the Middle Tennessee area. Some organizations that attended included MTSU Health Promotion, Tennesee Suicide Prevention Network, and MTSU Counseling Services.

“It is important to have these resources for students,” said Channing Phillips, director of the fair.

Students participated in different activities, including rock painting, making bags of inspiration, stress ball making and flower planting. MTSU Counseling Services hosted this event.

“It has been a privilege to help students,” said Danielle Ordus, a graduate student who works with the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services. “With our [Clinical Mental Health Counseling] program, you work with real people.”

Students fail to learn about events because they are either in class, in dorms or even back at home. Having these events in common areas like the Student Union Atrium allows for maximum engagement.

“I did know, but I don’t go there [Counseling Services], and I do not know where it is, but I would guess it’s somewhere on a website.” Jules Elliott said. “I’m such a busy girl I would not even know where to find events like this.”

MTSU highlights the accessibility of these resources for the students, but it is difficult to gain engagement from students when they do not know where to access resources and services.

“I know about these services, but I feel like actually being able to use them would be tedious,” said Emma McGaughy, an MTSU student. “I rarely even go to these events because I have to make time in my schedule to even think about going.”

Making these resources accessible to everyone is Counseling Services’ main goal. They push for seeking help when needed, and that it is okay to ask for help.

Linsey Mata is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the News Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.