Friday, September 20, 2024

MTSU soccer falls to FIU to start conference play

Featured Photo by Paige Mast

Story by Devin Lockert

On Thursday night, Middle Tennessee (3-6) and Florida International (6-3) opened conference play in a back-and-forth affair with FIU winning 4-2.  

The Blue Raiders got off to a strong start as they displayed hard pressure and an aggressive offensive attack. MTSU capitalized on early opportunities scoring off a Lauren Spaanstra corner kick in the fifth minute. Spaanstra corner kick fell to Idun Kvaale, after bouncing around the goal box, scored with a lofted shot.  

MTSU had other opportunities but were unable to find the back of the net again. Lexi Dendis put a shot on goal, minutes after the Blue Raiders got on the board, but was denied by FIU keeper Valery Restrepo.  

“We had a couple of chances that we should have put away,” forward Kvaale said.  

In the first half, FIU had 10 shots with four of them on goal, but they were unable to score. However in the second half, the Panthers came out of the gate and flipped the switch.

FIU attacking MTSU, 9-19-2024. (Photo by Aaron Speltz)

Noemi Paquin scored from deep in the 62nd minute for the Panthers. Paquin was not done yet as she scored again to complete the hat trick with two goals in the 70th minute. Paquin second goal came off a free kick header, flicking the ball into the bottom right corner. The third goal came from a high press, getting past MTSU keeper Demi Gronauer for the tap-in.  

FIU’s Montelene Dymond got in on the scoring action as she hammered one in the back of the net. 

MTSU scored its second goal of the game but were unable to force a late comeback.

“We just have to have short term memory, no matter a win, lose or tie,” MTSU coach Aston Rhoden said.  

Devin Lockert is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines

To contact the Sports and Assistant Sports Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and
on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.