Thursday, September 26, 2024

Flu and COVID season is upon us: Are MTSU students receiving vaccines?

Feature photo by Maia O’Brien

Story by Maia O’Brien

As the flu and COVID season progresses, some MTSU students wish to receive the flu COVID-19 vaccines for an extra layer of protection, while others choose to continue without the vaccines for a multitude of reasons. 

Fall and winter tend to have the largest increase in flu and COVID cases, according to the Centers for Disease Control. The CDC recommends the yearly flu shot for adults and an updated COVID-19 vaccine. 

But how many college students are actually getting these vaccines? 

The MTSU Health Clinic has two types of COVID-19 vaccines. A Moderna Spikevax and Novavax protein-based vaccine. They administered 10 Novavax vaccines, and they scheduled 20 Moderna vaccine administrations. 

Additionally, 70 flu shots have been administered to students, with plans for many more. The MTSU Health Clinic offers flu shot clinics from Sept. 26 to Nov. 1 for students. 

“They were made for a reason. They’re important,” said student Megan Hickman. 

Some students agree with this sentiment about the importance of vaccines. On the other hand, some students do not feel it is necessary for them to receive the vaccines. 

“I just feel that until I see people getting sick, or I get sick again, I won’t get the vaccine again,” said student Joshua Mason. “I had COVID before, and I had it for two, three days. And I’ve never had it since.” 

The original COVID-19 vaccine that several students received became less effective over time, according to the CDC. The updated vaccine helps fight against newer variants. Similarly, the seasonal flu vaccine fights the strains that are anticipated to go around this time of year. 

“It’s really scary, so I don’t want to get people sick,” said student Autumn Powers. 

The college environment is a prime area for both COVID and the flu to spread, so receiving vaccines can provide protection and peace of mind for some students. 

“Our parents aren’t telling us what to do anymore, so you need to keep up with it yourself,” Powers said. 

Some students feel it is their obligation to set an example by receiving the vaccine and protecting their families. Students who are immunocompromised or have family members who are immunocompromised want to protect the people around them with the vaccines. 

However, some students also believe they have a strong immune system and that they do not need vaccinations. 

“I feel like that in older people, it is more life-threatening to them because of their immune systems. I feel like they should get it to prevent themselves from getting sick and all that. I think my grandparents should get it, of course,” said student Madelyn Bursey. 

Beyond this, some students have personal reasons for not being interested in receiving the vaccines. 

“I prefer not to get vaccinated, so it’s more of a religious reason,” said student Faith Stroller. 

Despite mixed opinions, health professionals stress the importance of receiving these vaccines for your own and others’ safety. The suggested time to get both vaccines is in September and October when they typically start circulating. 

“Make a plan now for you and your family to get both updated flu and COVID vaccines this fall, ahead of the respiratory virus season,” said CDC Director Mandy Cohen in a CDC briefing. 

For students who are interested in getting vaccinated, the MTSU Health Clinic offers both flu and COVID vaccines at no charge to the student with insurance.

Maia O’Brien is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the News Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.