Thursday, September 19, 2024

James E. Walker Library updates evening access

Featured art by Walker Library

Story by Noah McLane

Beginning Tuesday, Sept. 3, students will need their student ID card if they want to get into the James E. Walker Library after 9 p.m.

The card reader is located next to the Starbucks entrance inside the first set of automatic doors. 

The James E. Walker Library will require swipe access past 9 p.m. beginning Sept. 3. (Photo by Noah McLane)

The new rule, in conjunction with frequent walk-throughs by MTSU Police and a staff presence during all hours of the library’s operation, offers a better sense of security for students. 

“We felt that [swipe access] would be a better opportunity to reassure students and their families that they’re the only ones that have access to [the library],” Walker Library Dean Kathleen Schmand said.

As far as the reliability of the card reader, “there shouldn’t be any technology issues with this card swipe in the building, and we’re going to monitor it closely the first couple of weeks to make sure there aren’t,” said Schmand.  

“But if somebody doesn’t have an ID card, [then] we won’t be able to let them in at that point. That’s why it’s so important for students to go and get their ID,” Schmand added.

How are students reacting?

Chris Bright, a senior, likes the new system but doesn’t want to see a 24/7 swipe requirement, especially during finals.

“You never know with schedules. It’s already crunch time for everybody, so being able to get in easily is pretty beneficial,” Bright said.

Two freshmen, Shelly Ford and Kelsey Beaty, like that only students can get in after 9 p.m. However, the early birds say the new system will not affect them as much since they like to be out of the library and in bed by 9:30 p.m.   

The pair admitted that may change as midterms and finals roll around.

“Like once I really get into [school]work, I’ll use it a lot,” added Beaty. 

“I feel more secure. Because before, I felt like anyone could walk in there,” Seth Edwards, a junior, said as he walked into the library.

Noah McLane is the Lead News Reporter for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the News Editor and Assistant News Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.