Monday, September 16, 2024

Hozier unleashes 3 unexpected songs with “Unaired”

Feature photo by Tyler Lamb

Story by Victoria Stone

Irish singer-songwriter Hozier treated fans with the release of his second EP of the year, “Unaired,” on Aug. 16. Like his March release “Unheard,” his latest offering contains songs recorded concurrently with the 2023 album “Unreal Unearth.”

“Unaired” arrived almost exactly one year after the full-length album. With this EP, Hozier expands on the bluesy folk world of “Unreal Unearth.”

“Nobody’s Soldier,” an anti-war song, condemns the Israel-Hamas war and the U.S. government’s expectations of its citizens. The singer vocally called for a ceasefire at several concerts and festival appearances. 

Hozier is no stranger to advocacy through songwriting. The video for his breakout hit “Take Me To Church” addressed LGBTQ+ rights in Russia. “Nina Cried Power” found life as a protest song thanks to its political undertones.

The themes of “July” evoke the early months of the COVID-19 pandemic and the longing for freedom in the outside world. Though that lockdown level of COVID is hopefully gone for good, the song carries relevance today. Chronic illnesses like anxiety and depression trap people physically and mentally, so they can’t always see the hope of the months ahead. But, just like every month, July is still coming.

In “That You Are,” Hozier collaborates with Syrian-American singer Bedouine. The artist’s family immigrated to the U.S. via green card lottery when she was ten. Bedouine has three albums under her name and has toured as a headliner and supporter. In this duet, the pair performs as lovers — the lyrics describe their longing and devotion to one another. Hozier teased the other songs ahead of time, leaving “That You Are” as a surprise.

Overall, the EP pairs well with Hozier’s recent releases. It complements the album in a way that isn’t overwhelming. So many creators leave songs unreleased because of deadlines, perfectionism or a lack of funding. It’s nice to know that Hozier didn’t let time constraints stop him from eventually releasing these three beautifully ethereal songs.

“Unaired” is available for streaming on all platforms.

Victoria Stone is a Reporter for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the Lifestyles Editor, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.