Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Who is The Dare and ‘What’s Wrong With New York?’

Feature photo by Richard Kern

Story by Emma Burden

This summer, Charli XCX took over the world with her new album, “Brat,” quickly ushering in the era of Brat Summer. But as Charli XCX says “Goodbye” to her reign, one thing is apparent — indie sleaze is making a comeback. New rave DJ The Dare is taking over the music scene with “What’s Wrong With New York?”

Artwork for The Dare’s debut album, “What’s Wrong With New York,” released on Sept. 6. Photo courtesy of Sacks & Co. Media Relations.

Harrison Patrick Smith, known by his artist name The Dare, has turned a hyperpop summer into a dreamy, sleazy and nostalgic fall. His debut album “What’s Wrong With New York?” released on Sept. 6, but is eerily reminiscent of an indie electronic album from the late 2000s. His voice is reminiscent of Gabe Saporta of Cobra Starship and his production leans heavily toward the electronic rock of LCD Soundsystem.

After finding mainstream success with the track “Girls” and gaining notoriety by producing the Charli XCX track “Guess,” The Dare released an EP titled “You’re Invited” on Aug. 7, with all four tracks appearing on the new album.

So, you may be asking, “What’s so special about The Dare?” Yes, he’s creating the same music that was perfected almost twenty years ago — but he’s creating it in the context of the modern decade and providing a refreshing revival of the iconic indie sleaze genre.

The Dare might not be everyone’s musical cup of tea, so here’s three tracks off his new album to help change your mind.

1. “I Destroyed Disco”

“I Destroyed Disco” brings new touches to the classic, “trashy” vibe of original indie sleaze. The bass line and production is reminiscent of the late revolutionary producer SOPHIE, while the repetitive lyrics and general funk of The Dare’s sound mirror an early Crystal Castles track. And, like both musicians mentioned, The Dare has faced his fair share of criticism — “I Destroyed Disco” is his answer to everyone who sees him as a cheap copycat.

Before the first chorus, The Dare sings, “What’s a blogger to a rocker, what’s a rocker to The Dare?”

2. “Elevation”

“Elevation” inhabits a space much more liminal than the rest of “What’s Wrong With New York?” The track sounds empty and cold, and the lyrics don’t revolve around partying or hedonism, but instead convey the emotions of missing the special person in his life. The synths are similar to the rest of the album, but are soft enough to let the lyrics control the track. In “Elevation,” The Dare momentarily sheds his slick suit and cool-guy DJ persona, and instead offers his heart up on a platter.

3.  “Movement”

“Movement” is headache inducing, but in a good way. The song sounds like “Don’t You Want Me” by The Human League and Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer,” but also sounds like it belongs in a club scene from MTV’s “Jersey Shore.” However, the song doesn’t try to be anything that it’s not. “Movement” is in a league of its own, with shaking vocals, blaring sirens and electronic beats making it a song like no other.

“What’s Wrong With New York?” successfully emulates indie sleaze music that came before, but offers an excitingly modern spin. While some tracks on the album have clearly drawn inspiration from works released decades ago, songs such as “Elevation” and “All Night” bring something fresh to the genre. And, it’s hard to find another song like “Movement,” with ‘80s and ‘90s influences coinciding with electronica. 

Will The Dare fizzle out like his sleaze counterparts? Will his music only exist as a moment in time, rather than an evergreen movement? There’s a chance that The Dare will fall into the likes of bands like The Teenagers, Neon Indian and CSS. But, with a modern innovation present in his work and the helping hand of social media, it’s unlikely. 

The Dare is not afraid to try something new or to mix the past with the present. “What’s Wrong With New York?” emulates the indie sleaze of 2007, and invites its revival in the 2020s.

Emma Burden is a Reporter for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the Lifestyles Editor, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.