Wednesday, September 18, 2024

AmericanaFest 2024: 10 music newbies and notables you can’t miss

Story by Sidelines Staff

Once a year, AmericanaFest provides Nashville with five days of musical escapism. Instead of stopping to watch the blasting window bands of Broadway, tourists and purveyors of the Nashville music scene can crawl the streets of downtown in search of the top Americana acts of the hour. 

Sidelines staff has done our all inclusive AmericanaFest research, and we’ve picked out a few of our favorite seasoned crown jewels and fledgling diamonds in the rough nestled in this year’s lineup.

Mary Gauthier 

Photo from All Eyes Media.

Mary Gauthier is one of few artists whose music can be compared to the complexity of a vintage Port: Having time to become true to itself, the surface level sweetness being shed for complex flavors that not only captivate audiences but allow them to see their reflection in the tapestry woven between her words and melodies. Gauthier receives a well-deserved tribute at AmericanaFest this year. Beginning Tuesday at 7 p.m., performers like Emmylou Harris, Rodney Crowell and Lori McKenna take the City Winery stage in her name to present a 25-year celebration of her first widely available release, “Drag Queens in Limousines,” alongside special guest Jaimee Harris. For the outcasts brave enough to feel something much deeper than music, it’s a must-see. Noah McLane 

Lizzie No 

Lizzie No, a ridiculously talented singer-songwriter, harpist and guitarist, is a new but important voice in contemporary folk. Her upbeat tunes partnered with reflective, romantic lyrics create a near tangible groove that permeates the audience’s ears straight through to their feet. An overarching example is her single, “Sweeter Than Strychnine,” a song that makes resisting a little bit of dancing simply impossible. A Black woman from Brooklyn, New York, who dons pencil skirts and the occasional camo ball cap, she is on the frontlines of the Americana revolution and reflects the genre’s continued march towards a more diverse future. The can’t-miss artist takes the stage at 8 p.m. on Wednesday at The 5 Spot. Noah McLane

Freight Train Foxes

Americana music is not exclusive to America, and Freight Train Foxes is living proof. Hailing from Brisbane, Australia, the group is ready to take over Jane’s Hideaway on Thursday at 8 p.m. with strumming guitars, blissful harmonies and warm melodies. Members Pat Kenny and Kelsey Berrington don’t seem to fit into the idea of Americana — Kenny was an army officer and Berrington was a circus performer before the band formed, but perhaps they’re a prime example of the notion that there is no one box that Americana can fit into. Freight Train Foxes’ newest EP “This City Holds Memories” focuses on themes of change and is similar to the sounds of Noah Kahan and The Lumineers. Emma Burden

Kaia Kater

With her performance at 9 p.m. on Thursday, Kaia Kater will bring a unique musical perspective to the AB Hillsboro Village stage at AmericanaFest this year. Born in Montreal, Kater describes herself as a “Grenadian-Canadian banjo playing songsayer.” Though Kater was raised in Canada, she has spent considerable time in Appalachia. Known for her creative musical arrangements consisting of percussion, banjo and clarinet, Kater’s musical prowess lies in soft vocals and strong instruments.Kater’s newest release, “Strange Medicine,” combines folk with jazz, offering smooth, moving and enchanting lyrics and music. Emma Burden

Greensky Bluegrass 

The members of Greensky Bluegrass have come a long way from college days humbly performing at open-mic nights in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Now a five-piece Bluegrass jam band with electric effects and a full light show, the group has been captivating audiences and gaining traction since 2000. The band is known for playing a different set each night, leaving the audience hopeful to enjoy their favorite songs but continuously surprised by the string of tunes they hear. After touring all summer, playing Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee, and performing two back-to-back nights at Red Rocks Amphitheater earlier this month, the booked-and-busy group takes to the Brooklyn Bowl stage at AmericanaFest on Thursday at 9 p.m. Kerstie Wolaver

India Ramey

Classic country pin-up India Ramey performs Thursday at The 5 Spot, bringing a refreshing dose of leather and tattoos to AmericanaFest. Kicking off at 10 p.m., the domestic violence prosecutor-turned-guitar-strumming cowgirl is an electrifyingly retro take on country music. On her new album “Baptized by the Blaze,” Ramey takes no prisoners and recounts her victory over addiction, complimented by steel-pedal runs and culminating in the form of a classic ‘50s style country western soundtrack. Described by Rolling Stone as “Part Black Sabbath, part honky-tonk,” Ramey mixes the dark and mysterious with classic Southern pickin’. Constantly decked in red and black fringe and a smudging of dark eyeshadow, Ramey will be this year’s black sheep, bringing a much-needed sprinkle of her dark cowgirl aura to the festival. Bailey Brantingham

Suzy Bogguss and Robert Earl Keen

A veteran of the country music scene, Bogguss is best known for her chart-topping hits in the ‘90s, but her latest album “Prayin’ for Sunshine,” written during lockdown in 2020, showcases the expansiveness of her songwriting skills with simple performances. At the center of each track is Bogguss and her guitar, her raw sound supported by a band that blends well with the homey energy of the album. She’s performing at the Bluebird Cafe on Friday at 6 p.m. with the Americana legend Robert Earl Keen, whose repertoire her new album compliments well. Both are classically Americana: rooted in strong songwriting and storytelling. Keen also released an album recently called “Western Chill.” If both albums were fires, Keen’s would reach high into the sky, while Bogguss’ would be crackling embers. Kailee Shores

Swamp Dogg

82-year-old Swamp Dogg has been on the scene since the ‘70s, long before the better-known Snoop D-O–double-G became popular, but he just made his Grand Ole Opry debut this year after releasing his first Bluegrass album, “Blackgrass.” A force to be reckoned with, he began his career as Jerry Williams before adopting his current moniker. He grew like a weed through a sidewalk crack as Swamp Dogg in R&B and funk, making his rounds on the Chitlin’ Circuit in the Jim Crow south, and ventured into Americana more recently. His new album is a beautiful exploration of the banjo, supplemented by foot-stomping beats that smoothly showcase Swamp’s soul roots. He revisits some classics in his songbook, like “To The Other Woman,” featuring Margo Price, and “Rise Up,” a bluegrass reimagination of a song originally written by Swamp but performed by The Commodores. From heartfelt country gospel in “This is my Dream,” to eerie spoken-word storytelling in “Murder Ballad,” the album has something for everyone. Swamp can be found performing a set at Station Inn on Friday at 8 p.m. Kailee Shores

Amythyst Kiah

Photo by Kevin & King.

For those who think music needs more female banjo-picking powerhouses, AmericanaFest veteran Amythyst Kiah is here to represent. Rounding out the Cannery Hall lineup on Friday at 9:30 p.m., Kiah conveys deep-rooted messages about her experiences as a queer Black artist in the Bible Belt, fluctuating between acoustic ballads like “Wild Turkey” and strikingly harsh tunes like “Black Myself.” Her music is a cocktail of old-time country shaken with rootsy-folk, garnished with a dash of blues. With the Chattanooga, Tennessee, native recently recording songs with artists like Moby and Billy Strings, Kiah’s music is deservedly reaching the masses. Before she’s no longer one of Tennessee’s best-kept musical secrets, fans that know her best can witness her in an intimate space during her return to the festival. Bailey Brantingham

John Oates Acoustic Band 

John Oates, one half of rock duo Hall & Oates, performs on The Station Inn stage Saturday night along with his acoustic band. Though the “Maneater” duo split ways, Oates’ spirit of music is still kicking. He’s likely to mix modernity with nostalgia, playing his originals as well as classic Hall & Oates hits like “Out of Touch,” while sprinkling in a few covers throughout the set. When performing with his other half, Oates played guitar and sang backup vocals. But, now on his own, he’s stepped into the limelight, singing and playing guitar for crowds of loyal fans who come to see the 76-year-old icon like it’s the ‘80s again. Though a part of the classic nostalgia will be missing, Oates’ acoustic band is a worthy supplement for the absent half of the once mighty dynamic duo. Kerstie Wolaver

To contact the Lifestyles Editor, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. 

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.