Monday, September 16, 2024

Ole Miss bound: Previewing MTSU’s week two opponent

Photo by Myles Valrie

Story by Brett Walker

Middle Tennessee football takes its first road trip of the season this Saturday to face the No. 6 Ole Miss Rebels. 

Here’s everything you need to know before the Blue Raiders head to Oxford to face a top 25 opponent. 

The History 

Historically speaking MTSU doesn’t fare well against The Associated Press Top 25 competition. Since the 2020 season, the Blue Raiders have a 1-3 record against ranked teams. They suffered losses against No. 16 Marshall, in 2020, No. 19 Virginia Tech in 2021 and No. 4 Alabama in the 2023 season opener. MTSU’s lone win came in 2022 against No. 25 Miami, which was the program’s first ever win against an AP Top 25 team. The Blue Raiders hope to repeat the success they had against Miami two years ago, and not lean into their history against highly ranked opponents. 

Saturday marks just the second meeting between the two schools. with the first coming in 2001. The previous meeting resulted in a 45-17 Ole Miss win, spearheaded by Eli Manning’s 257-yard performance. 

The Coach  

Ole Miss head coach, Lane Kiffin is in his fifth season at the university, following head coaching stints at Tennessee, USC, Florida Atlantic and a one year stop as the head coach of the Oakland Raiders. 

Kiffin is no stranger to MTSU head coach Derek Mason, having been on the opposing sideline from him in the past. Even with the Rebels coming off a blowout victory, Kiffin still offered respect towards Middle Tennessee and its coaching staff. 

“We know Middle Tennessee came back and won the other night,” Kiffin said in regard to his upcoming opponent. “Last year, they had Missouri down to the wire. These guys have been in these type situations. They’re very well-coached. An SEC head coach and NFL defensive coordinator. They’re really sound in what they do. We need to prepare well this week and play really good. We look forward to the challenge.”  

Kiffin is in his fifth season at Ole Miss, following head coaching stints at Tennessee, USC and Florida Atlantic. Renowned for his up-tempo offenses, the 49-year-old head coach is a prominent figure in the college football landscape. 

“He’s (Kiffin) one of the most respected offensive minds in college football,” Mason said. “When you talk about him, you talk about Sark (Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian), those guys are terrific at being able to play the chess match of players. It’s not really their X’s and O’s, it’s how they find ways to get players the ball, because their best players are always going to get touches.”  

The Team 

Kiffin’s crew started off the season as many expected, trouncing FCS opponent Furman 76-0 at home. Senior quarterback Jaxson Dart is coming off one of the nation’s best performances in week one. Dart was responsible for six total touchdowns as he completed 81.5% of his passes for 418 yards and five touchdowns and scored another on the ground. Despite prowess as a passer, what makes him so dangerous to opposing defenses is the threat of his rushing ability, Mason said. 

“He keeps his eyes downfield,” Mason said of the Ole Miss quarterback. “That’s a Lane Kiffin trait with older quarterbacks in the system. Those guys get better at what they do. Those guys can scramble but they scramble to throw, right? He can run all day long, but he keeps his eyes down the field, and I think that’s where he can get dangerous because if you drop coverage, he’ll find it.” 

Kiffin’s gunslinger has plenty of weapons to choose from as well. Dart’s top receiver, Tre Harris started off his season strong hauling in eight receptions for 179 yards and two of Dart’s five touchdown throws. In the backfield, the Rebels rely on running back Matt Jones, who carried the rock three times for 68 yards and two endzone trips against Furman. 

Middle Tennessee’s defense will have to be keyed in for Saturday’s non-conference affair, as they were gashed by the Tennessee Tech offense in the second half of the season opener. Despite the second half struggles, the Blue Raiders aren’t dwelling on it heading into week two.  

“These things sort of get flushed out, Mason said. “Last game gets flushed out. New opportunities sort of present themselves. With it being a new day, you sort of split your day between the old and the new.” 

The Rebel defense poses a threat to MTSU as well. Ole Miss suffocated Furman by allowing a measly 176 total yards of offense. Additionally, Ole Miss forced a turnover and had 16 tackles for loss.  

With three starters on the MTSU offensive line out (Julius Pierce, J’Shun Bodiford and Ethan Ellis) the Blue Raiders will have their hands full with a feisty Ole Miss front.  

The Environment 

Saying the Rebels entered the season with high expectations is an understatement. Ole Miss earned its highest preseason ranking since 1970, coming in at No. 6 in the AP Poll. 

It’s safe to say that with excitement around the program at an all-time high, Vaught-Hemingway Stadium will be rocking on Saturday afternoon. Against Furman, the Rebels drew a home crowd of 66,105 according to ESPN.  

Students and Rebel fans are more excited than ever for this year’s team. Due to recent success, a loud and “electric” crowd awaits the team in Oxford, Ole Miss sophomore Robert Wheeler said.

“The expectations are so much higher this year, especially ever since our big win in the Chic-Fil-A Peach Bowl,” Wheeler said. “With the recruiting that Kiffin has done, all the students are excited for a great season.”

To get acclimated to the rowdy environment, Mason elected to play the Ole Miss fight song, “Forward Rebels” at practice during the week. The tune would get old for most quickly, but it doesn’t seem to bother MTSU defensive tackle Damonte Smith one bit.  

“I love to hear it because we’re going on their field in their atmosphere,” Smith said with a smile. “It’s a big crowd. It’s really just going to bring us some juice, really bring us some energy.” 

Saturday’s kick off against Ole Miss is set for 3:15 p.m. The game is slated to air on SEC Network.  

Brett Walker is the sports editor for MTSU Sidelines 

To contact the Sports and Assistant Sports Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com 

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.