Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Francine hurls rain and event postponements toward MTSU

Featured photo by Jenene Grover

Story by Noah McLane

As Francine, now classified as a tropical depression, barrels through Northern Alabama, MTSU prepared by postponing various events scheduled on campus Thursday and Friday.

Brittney Whitehead, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service, told Sidelines Murfreesboro can expect rounds of showers over the next couple of days, but the heaviest rain is expected to occur West of I-65. 

Regardless, Murfreesboro will still be receiving an “inch or two” of rain over the next three to four days, according to Whitehead.

For a university where nearly three quarters of its students commute to campus, that is plenty of reason to exercise caution.

While some events, like the Blue Zoo Bash, moved into the protection of buildings, other clubs and organizations announced postponements, including Culturefest, which was scheduled to happen at 4 p.m. Thursday in the STU commons. 

“Safety is the top priority with these types of things,” said Jimmy Hart, MTSU’s director of news and media relations. 

Hart added that it is sometimes better for some events, especially outdoor events, to reschedule instead of “go[ing] forward and possibly endanger[ing] someone, we certainly don’t want to put anyone in danger with the events we schedule on campus.”

Noah McLane is the Lead News Reporter for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the News Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.