Wednesday, September 18, 2024

For fans of ‘Beetlejuice,’ ‘Beetlejuice Beetlejuice’ delivers spooky nostalgia

Feature photo courtesy of Warner Bros. Entertainment

Story by Savannah Shaver

The glowing green ghost world of “Beetlejuice” introduced many to creepy, Halloween-esque movies. “Beetlejuice Beetlejuice,” the sequel to the 1988 classic, delivers viewers back to director Tim Burton’s world of Winter River. 

Winona Ryder reprises her role as Lydia Deetz, now grown up and returning to Winter River to navigate an “unexpected family tragedy.” She’s joined by her daughter Astrid, played by Jenna Ortega, and her stepmother Delia, played by Catherine O’Hara. 

The opening scene of the film sounds eerily familiar, as well-known composer Danny Elfman scored both the original and remake. Both scores showcase Elfman’s signature spookily whimsical sound and provide a fitting soundtrack for the ghostly antics. While the overall plot differs from that of the first movie, Burton included quite a few similarities for fans of the original. Much of the original cast returns, including Ryder, O’Hara, and, most importantly, Michael Keaton as the green-haired ghost himself. Keaton brings his classic, sarcastic Beetlejuice energy to the new film, and it’s amazing to see him embody the role over 30 years later.   

Catherine O’Hara, Jenna Ortega, Winona Ryder and Justin Theroux star in “Beetlejuice Beetlejuice.” (Photo courtesy of Warner Bros. Entertainment)

The new cast members deserve their accolades, too. Jenna Ortega does a stellar job playing Lydia Deetz’s daughter, Astrid. Ortega is an absolute acting powerhouse, and she certainly knows how to play a dark and brooding daughter. Her role as Wednesday Addams in “Wednesday” showcased her talent for portraying the mysterious and eerie. Astrid “tortures Lydia like Lydia tortured Delia” according to Delia, and, just like Lydia, Astrid is an outcast at school. Despite their disagreements, the mother-daughter duo has a lot in common, which makes it easy to get invested in their relationship and the otherworldly escapades they face together.  

Fans of the first “Beetlejuice” should give the sequel a chance. Though it’s different from the original, they share the same gimmicky humor and retro special effects. The film provides a much-needed dose of late ‘80s nostalgia and encourages viewers to get in the early September Halloween spirit. Grab some popcorn and a cozy blanket because “It’s showtime.”

Savannah Shaver is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the Lifestyles Editor, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.