Monday, September 16, 2024

MTSU wins first game in Derek Mason Era  

Feature Photo by Erin Douglas

Feature Story by Jacob Burgess

The beginning of Derek Mason’s era of Middle Tennessee football had to wait over two hours due to a lightning delay against Tennessee Tech. Kick off was set for 6 p.m. but did not happen until 8:42 pm.  

The rain thinned the original crowd set to watch the revamped Blue Raiders with the crowd at kickoff a reminder of last year.  

The Blue Raiders fought back to beat the Golden Eagles 32-25.  

MTSU scored quickly on the first drive of the game capped by a Frank Peasant three-yard run. The defense started strong with John Howse IV intercepting a pass by Tech quarterback Dylan Laible.  

Middle Tennessee scored two more touchdowns in the first half. Tennessee Tech tallied up five points in the first half on a safety after pinning Middle Tennessee on its own one-yard line and a field goal to end the half.  

The third quarter was back and forth with neither team scoring until Tech broke the stalemate with a touchdown with 1:46 left. Backup quarterback, Jordyn Potts found Ashton Maples alone down the right sideline for the 33-yard touchdown. Tech went for the two-point conversion and was unsuccessful. 

MTSU started the fourth quarter as slow as the third quarter ended. Nick Vattiato threw an interception that was returned for a Tech touchdown. The touchdown was brought back because of a targeting call against Tech, ejecting one of their players and giving the Blue Raiders a break.  

The Blue Raiders could not stop the Golden Eagles giving up a touchdown with 1:06 left in the fourth quarter. Potts found Jordan Yates on the fade route to the back corner of the endzone.  

MTSU in the final minute drove 75 yards down field and took the lead on a Peasant 30-yard run. The Blue Raiders offense woke up when they needed to most and did not let the win slip away.  

Middle Tennessee will head on the road to play Ole Miss on Sept. 7 for week two. Kick off is scheduled for 3:15 p.m. in Oxford, MS.

Jacob Burgess is the Sports Lead Reporter for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact the Sports and Assistant Sports Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com

For more news, visit http://www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.