Sunday, September 29, 2024

MTSU falls 24-7 to Memphis to end non-conference play

Featured Photo by Myles Valrie

Story by Jacob Burgess 

Middle Tennessee (1-4) traveled to west Tennessee to face off against the Memphis Tigers (4-1), losing 24-7.  

MTSU held Memphis to zero points in the first quarter, forcing Tiger errors, while still struggling with self-inflicted wounds. 

The Blue Raiders punted from their own endzone on the first drive of the game, but regained possession following a Memphis muff.  

MTSU’s next two drives ended in back-to-back fumbles. The first fumble came on a scoring opportunity. Quarterback Nick Vattiato found receiver Omari Kelly for a big gain, but it was all for naught as Kelly reached for the pylon and fumbled through the endzone resulting in a touchback.  

The next drive ended in a fumble inside the Blue Raider 20-yard line after the MTSU offensive line missed a blocking assignment. The Memphis defense clobbered Vattiato, forcing the turnover. Vattiato scolded his line on the sideline after the miscue.  

The junior signal caller has the authority to get after those dudes because he puts everything out there on the field, MTSU coach Derek Mason said.  

“He doesn’t make excuses, there are no explanations, that is the dude you want playing quarterback for you,” Mason said.  

MTSU could not hold Memphis from scoring forever, with the Tigers scoring twice in the second quarter.  

Starting at the MTSU 12-yard line, Memphis turned the Vattiato fumble into a quick touchdown.  

Middle Tennessee started the second half quickly scoring a touchdown on its first drive. The highlight of the drive was a leaping Kelly catch over a defender for a 37-yard gain. MTSU scored its first and only touchdown of the game shortly after via a four-yard Terry Wilkins touchdown scamper.  

Everybody doing their job and trusting in the rest of the team helped MTSU get the big plays, Kelly said.  

Memphis answered with a touchdown drive capped by Brandon Thomas with a one-yard run. Memphis added a field goal to finish off the scoring.  

The fourth quarter was a stalemate with little action to be found. The only noteworthy thing being Mason getting flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, arguing a no call on a pass interference call.  

The Blue Raiders have 12 days of rest before they take a trip to Ruston, Louisiana to take on La Tech in a Conference USA matchup.  

Jacob Burgess is the lead reporter for MTSU Sidelines 

To contact the Sports and Assistant Sports Editor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com 

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.